Strategic statement 2010-15
Strategic statement 2010-15
Download a PDF version of this document (NAT 73493, PDF, 105KB)
The Strategic statement 2010-15 is to be read in conjunction with Making a Difference - the intent behind our Strategic statement 2010-15.
This strategic statement sets out our vision for the future. It is an aspirational statement describing our values and how we will work with government and the community in the years ahead.
The Australian Government and its agencies exist to improve the wellbeing of all Australians.
The ATO has important responsibilities, on behalf of the community, for the care of Australia's tax and superannuation systems and the Australian Business Register.
Revenue from Australia's tax system helps fund public goods and services that give effect to economic and social policies. Australia's superannuation system helps secure retirement income for Australians.
The Australian Business Register makes it easier for businesses and all levels of government to interact.
Australians already demonstrate a high level of willing participation in these systems. We believe this is a sign of good citizenship.
Commissioner of Taxation
and Registrar of the Australian Business Register
Australians value their tax and superannuation systems as community assets, where willing participation is recognised as good citizenship.
The ATO works with government and the community to:
People support and understand the benefits of participation - they are engaged and willingly participate.
People are helped and assisted to understand their rights and responsibilities and are able to fulfil their obligations easily at minimal cost.
Protecting people and the community by deterring, detecting and dealing with those who have not complied.
We are passionate about improving our capabilities to be more innovative, agile and responsive to challenges and opportunities.
We champion the interests of both individual taxpayers and the community, advising government on ways to improve the operation of Australia's tax and superannuation systems.
- Being fair and professional.
- Applying the rule of law.
- Supporting people who want to do the right thing and being fair but firm with those who don't.
- Being consultative, collaborative and willing to co-design.
- Being open and accountable.
- Being responsive to challenges and opportunities.
Confidence in the administration of aspects of Australia's taxation and superannuation systems through helping people understand their rights and obligations, improving ease of compliance and access to benefits, and managing non-compliance with the law.
We use strategies that encourage willing participation
- We seek to create an environment conducive to high levels of willing participation.
- We believe that prevention is better than cure.
- We use risk-based choices to prioritise our work.
- We discourage people from ignoring their obligations by taking firm action against those who decide not to comply.
- We collaborate with the community to design systems that make it easier to comply at minimal cost.
You can find more information on the ATO in our corporate publications including:
Last Modified: Friday, 18 June 2010