This overview provides an introduction to the practical advice and services available on our website and the assistance we offer through visits, local seminars and workshops. It also outlines how you can meet your tax obligations using our online services.
Dealing with us securely
If you want to use our online services you'll need either:
- a secure login (if you are an individual managing your personal tax and super affairs) or
- an AUSkey (if you are running a business or are a tax professional)
This is to ensure that the security and privacy of your personal information is protected, particularly from unauthorised people making transactions on your behalf.
Anyone associated with your business, practice, or entity must have their own AUSkey if they are dealing with us online on behalf of your Australian business number.
To deal with us securely online, you will need to:
- Register for a secure login as an individual
- Register for an AUSkey as a business or tax professional
The Business Portal is a secure website for managing your business tax affairs, protected by AUSkey.
You can use the Business Portal to:
- do your BAS online and you may get an extra two weeks to lodge and pay
- view your business tax account details
- transfer funds between your accounts
- check the status of your enquiries
- view and update your business registration details
- communicate with us using secure portal mail
- request private rulings and make objections to assessments
- access online tools and calculators
- view payment options
- test, lodge and download selected files.
To get started using the Business Portal go to Business Portal essentials.
Tax Agent Portal
The Tax Agent Portal is an interactive way for registered tax agents to access information, services and functions secured by AUSkey.
You can use the Tax Agent Portal to:
- assist in the management of your practice in dealing with the ATO
- view and update your client's registration details
- prepare, lodge, view and print activity statements for your clients
- view your lodgment program information
- view client account information
- request refunds and credit transfers on behalf of your clients
- send messages to the ATO on selected topics using secure portal mail.
To get started using the Tax Agent Portal go to Tax Agent Portal - home.
The BAS Agent Portal is an interactive way for registered BAS agents to access information, services and functions secured by AUSkey.
You can use the BAS Agent Portal to:
- prepare, lodge and revise activity statements
- receive instant confirmation of lodgement
- view client registration details
- print payment slips for your clients
- communicate with us using secure portal mail.
To get started using the BAS Agent Portal go to Online services for BAS agents.
Online services for individuals
Our online services provide you with an interactive and secure way to access information, services and functions.
Using our online services you can:
- view and update your personal contact details
- view the progress of your original and amended income tax returns for the latest and prior financial years
- view your income tax account balance
- make or view a payment arrangement for income tax
- keep track of all your super including current, lost and ATO held accounts
- transfer your super into the super account you want
ELS allows registered agents to lodge client income tax returns, activity statements and ABN applications online.
SBR is an Australian Government initiative, allowing secure online lodgment directly from your accounting software. An AUSkey is required.
Depending on the software provider you use, you can lodge:
- activity statements
- tax file number declaration reports
- fringe benefits tax returns
- Pay as you go (PAYG) payment summaries, including
- employment termination payment summary data record
- superannuation income stream payment summary data record
- superannuation lump sum payment summary data record
- individual non-business PAYG payment summary
- business and personal services income.
Electronic commerce interface (ECI) is software used to lodge large numbers of reports in a single transaction. An AUSkey is required.
You can lodge:
- TFN declaration reports PAYG withholding (PAYGW) reports, including:
- PAYGW payment summary annual report
- PAYGW where ABN not quoted annual report
- bulk superannuation reports, including:
- assessment variation advice statement
- reasonable benefit limits
- claims for the product stewardship (oil) program
- multiple activity statements on behalf of others (forms R, S and T cannot be lodged using ECI).
E-tax is free software which lets you prepare and lodge your individual tax return online. It has built-in checks and calculators to help you along the way, ensuring your return is as accurate as possible before you lodge it. It also allows you to download your personal tax information using the pre-filling service, directly into your return making it easier to meet your tax obligations and claim your entitlements. For more information or to download e-tax, see E-tax essentials.
Unable to find an answer online or do you have a specific question about your business tax affairs - if you need us, we're here to help.
We have two business tax phone services if you need further assistance.
Call 13 72 26
An automated phone service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to:
- lodge NIL business activity statement
- lodge NIL annual goods and services (GST) returns
- make GST or PAYG instalment annual elections
- register for fuel tax credits
- make an arrangement to pay a tax debt
- enquire about the progress of your income tax return
- verify an ABN
- order stationery and other forms and publications.
Call 13 28 66
General business enquiries - available between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday, for assistance with:
- business registrations
- how to register for an AUSkey
- completing and lodging BAS
- updating business details
- accounts or debts
- fuel tax credits
- PAYG withholding and instalments
- other business income tax matters, including capital gains tax.
Personalised, face-to-face business support services you can access easily
We have a team of experienced staff who can help you take control of your tax issues.
Through on-site visits, local seminars and workshops we can help you find quick and easy ways to:
- manage your records and paperwork
- lodge BAS
- manage your employer tax obligations and superannuation guarantee
- connect to the Business Portal to handle your activities online.
Arrange a convenient on-site visit
We'll arrange for one of our experienced staff to meet you at your business or preferred location to provide you with the help you need to better manage your business.
Which local seminars and workshops suit you?
Our seminars and workshops range from an overview to a reminder of what you need to know and do, whether you're starting a new business or your business circumstances have changed.
Book online or phone 1300 661 104 for details of available workshops and seminars.
Download Online Services - what you need to know (NAT 73122) (PDF, 125KB).
Visit the Online Services site for more information and for full terms and conditions.
Last Modified: Tuesday, 16 April 2013