A-Z index

Offsets you can claim

Health insurance
Your entitlement to a private health insurance rebate or tax offset depends on the age of the oldest person covered by your policy and your single or family income.
If you receive government benefits
The beneficiary tax offset is available if you receive certain Australian Government allowances and payments.
Low income earners
You may be eligible for a tax offset if you are a low-income earner - for example, if you only work part time. You don't have to claim this offset - we will work it out for you when you lodge your tax return.
Medical expenses
You can only claim this offset if you had expenses that relate to disability aids, attendant care or aged care.
Offsets and rebates
You may be eligible for tax offsets that reduce the amount you pay. You claim offsets in your tax return.
Research and development tax concession
The research and development tax concession is an ongoing scheme designed to increase the level of R&D being conducted by Australian companies. It is broad-based, not industry specific, and market-driven with the applicant entity deciding upon the scope and timing of the research and development.
Research and development tax incentive
The Research and development (R&D) tax incentive provides a tax offset for eligible R&D activities and is targeted toward R&D that benefits Australia. The incentive, which came into effect on 1 July 2011 and replaces the R&D tax concession, is geared towards encouraging companies to engage in R&D.
Small business income tax offset
The small business income tax offset can reduce the tax on your small business income by up to $1,000 each year from 2015–16.
Super related tax offsets
There are two super-related tax offsets. These relate to your super income stream and spouse super contributions.
Tax offsets
You or your carer may be eligible for one or more tax offsets (or rebates) and these offsets could reduce the amount of tax you have to pay.
Zones and overseas forces
If you live in a remote area or serve in forces overseas, you may be eligible for an overseas forces tax offset or a remote zone tax offset.