A-Z index


CGT events affecting real estate
Capital gains tax events affecting real estate can include entering into a terms contract, granting a right to reside, granting, renewing or extending an option, exercising an option or entering into a conservation covenant.
Capital gains tax property exemption tool
If you had sole or joint ownership of a property that you sold or are going to sell (or otherwise dispose of), this tool will help you work out what portion of your capital gain is exempt from capital gains tax.
Damaged or destroyed property
If your personal use assets – such as your home or household goods – are damaged or destroyed in a disaster, there will generally be no tax consequences. However, if your income-producing assets are damaged or destroyed, you will need to work out the correct tax treatment of insurance payouts you receive and your costs in rebuilding, repairing or replacing the assets.
Major capital improvements to a dwelling
Assets purchased before 20 September 1985 are generally excluded from the capital gains tax rules. However, if you make major capital improvements to such an asset, you may be liable for capital gains tax when you dispose of it.
Your home is generally exempt from tax. If you have an investment property, build or renovate for profit, or use a property in the running of a business, there may be implications for income tax, capital gains tax and goods and services tax (GST).
Tax-smart investing: What Australian property investors need to know
Tips to help you be a tax-smart property investor. (NAT 12917)