Painting a defensible picture
After you have completed the validation process, you need to determine whether your suite of indicators will provide a defensible picture.
Ask yourself whether, overall, the suite of indicators is likely to provide:
- sufficient evidence to justify your conclusions regarding the extent of your effectiveness
- a picture that is strong enough to withstand scrutiny and challenge.
Consider whether your indicators will show that:
- there has been a change in behaviour of the risk population
- there has been a change in community confidence
- the change has been sustained
- your strategies have contributed to the change
- the effect can be seen more broadly than those targeted by your strategies
- there were any unintended consequences as a result of your strategies.
If not, you should go back to the beginning of the indicator identification process and identify more potential indicators.
Remember to validate any new indicators.