Apply for the ATO Evergreen Program
Applications for the ATO Evergreen Program for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples are now closed!
On this page
Applications for the ATO Evergreen Program are now closed.
When you apply for the Evergreen ProgramExternal Link:
- you lodge your application online
- we review your application
- you may be invited to attend online testing
- you may be invited to attend an interview
- we undertake final checks for shortlisted applicants, including a:
- confirmation of heritage check
- police check
- reference check.
If your application is successful, we'll contact you with an offer.
For help with writing your job application, see Cracking the codeExternal Link on the Australian Public Service Commission website.
Evergreen recruitment timeline
The timeline for the 2023 Evergreen recruitment is:
- applications open – 16 March 2023
- applications close – 13 April 2023
- interviews and testing – May 2023
- pre-engagement and reference checks – June 2023
- letters of offer sent – July to August 2023
- employment starts – September 2023 (for successful applicants).
Lodging your application
Before you lodge your application, you'll need to complete an online application and provide your:
- contact details
- work history
- education details
- confirmation of your Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander heritage.
We recommend you have the confirmation of your Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander heritage ready when you start your application.
Once you've lodged your application, we'll send you an email to confirm we have received it.
Reviewing your application
We will check your online application to make sure that:
- you're eligible for the program
- you have some baseline core skills to have a successful career at the ATO.
We'll review your application and send you an email if you've met the requirements to move to the next stage of the recruitment process.
The next stage of the process is online testing.
If you're selected to attend an interview, we'll contact you to arrange a suitable time.
At the interview, we'll assess you on how you:
- adapt to change
- plan and manage a workload
- analyse problems and develop practical solutions
- provide client service
- build relationships and collaborate
We'll assess your skills through:
- written tasks
- verbal interview-style questions.
We'll also ask you to provide the name and contact details of an employment referee.
Confirm your heritage
You will be asked to provide your confirmation with your application. If you have any difficulties providing this at the time of applying, you will be asked to provide your confirmation of heritage within 6 weeks of applications closing.
At this point, we will review your performance from all assessment stages of the recruitment process. We'll then determine your suitability for the program.
Final checks and offer
We'll conduct a reference check and several pre-employment checks. This includes a police clearance.
Any offer of employment will rely on the results of these checks being satisfactory.
If you're successful, we'll make you a formal offer. You'll start your career with us in September 2023.
Eligible Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples can apply for the ATO's Evergreen Program.