Show download pdf controls
  • Your integrity matters

    On this page:

    Pre-engagement integrity checks

    We conduct pre-engagement integrity checks for all candidates seeking employment with the ATO.

    These checks are done because we have an obligation to the community to ensure that our people and others who access our information and premises are suitable

    You are required to supply personal information which allows us to complete this check.

    Where you do not engage in this process, fail to supply personal information or fail to satisfy our pre-engagement integrity check, you will not be engaged, or may have your contract or services terminated.

    We are authorised by the Public Service Act 1999 to ask for this information.

    Pre-engagement integrity check process

    When undergoing a pre-engagement check you'll need to:

    • provide documents which prove your identity and any name changes
    • provide details and documents that prove you are an Australian citizen. You must be an Australian citizen to be employed by the ATO.
    • undergo a national police records check, for this you'll need to
      • provide details of your driver license, firearms license and passport, if you hold any of these
      • provide details of your addresses for the last five years. Any substantial period of time that you have resided overseas within this five year timeframe will be scrutinised
      • provide details of any criminal charges, convictions or pecuniary penalties.

    We'll ask you to declare:

    • that you're medically fit to undertake the requirements of the position either with or without reasonable adjustment
    • any reasonable adjustments you require
    • if you've received a redundancy payment from an APS agency or the Australian Parliamentary Service within the last 12 months
    • that you've complied with your tax obligations
    • if you have any conflicts of interest, for example if you are a tax agent or BAS agent.

    If you're applying for an APS6 role or above, or a position that has been identified as higher risk, there are additional checks, which include:

    • confirmation of educational qualifications and professional memberships or associations applicable to the position
    • business associations you have, for example if you are or have been a director, sole owner or partner in a company or organisation
    • verifying your employment history with your previous employer, including your behaviour, conduct and performance and the reasons for your departure
    • bankruptcy register search
    • digital footprint check. A digital footprint check involves an internet search of your online presence, including a review of your publicly accessible social media.

    Some roles within our organisation also require a security clearanceExternal Link which is in addition to the pre-engagement check. You will be advised if this applies to you.

    What you need to do

    In most circumstances, you will submit this information electronically at the end of the selection process. Occasionally you will be asked to undergo this check at the same time as the selection process.

    Current ATO casual or non-ongoing employees

    In some circumstances you will need to renew your pre-engagement integrity check. You will be notified if this is required.

    How to prepare for your pre-engagement check

    You should begin gathering the following proof of identity documents in the event that you are successful.

    Proof of identity documentation

    You will need to provide a document from each of the following sections.

    A copy of one of the following:

    • your full Australian birth certificate issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (extracts of a birth certificate and commemorative birth certificates are not acceptable) or
    • your Australian citizenship certificate (providing both the front and back of the certificate).

    A copy of one of the following:

    • current Australian passport
    • current licence or permit issued under a law of the Australian Government, a state or a territory (for example, an Australian drivers licence and a copy of the front of the license is required, and back of the licence where address details exist)
    • current Proof of Age card
    • current Australia Post Keypass Identity card
    • current Department of Home Affairs (DHA) ImmicardExternal Link

    A copy of one of the following:

    • your current Medicare card
    • a current identification card issued by the Australian Government, a state or a territory as evidence of entitlement to a financial benefit (for example, a Centrelink pensioner concession card or Health care card)
    • a current security guard/crowd control licence
    • a tertiary identification card
    • a private health care card
    • a current credit card or bank card
    • a bank account statement dated within the last six months.

    A copy of one of the following, as evidence of your current residential address (if not provided in one of the above documents)  

    • property lease/rental agreement
    • an account from a utility, such as electricity, phone, gas, superannuation, insurance, motor vehicle registration or land rates notice dated within the last six months
    • Electoral roll registrationExternal Link you can check or update your address details on your state electoral role online, and you will generally receive a confirmation email or screen message which you can provide as evidence.

    If you were born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986

    You must provide a copy of one of the following (if not already supplied):

    • your current Australian passport
    • if you have previously supplied your full birth certificate, you will also need to provide evidence of one parent’s Australian citizenship or permanent residency at the time of your birth.

    This evidence can be any of the following:

    • one parent’s Australian birth certificate
    • one parent’s Australian passport that that was issued prior to your birth
    • one parent’s certificate of Australian citizenship issued prior to your birth
    • proof of one parent’s permanent residency at the time of your birth, for example, a passport showing a permanent entry stamp into Australia prior to your birth

    If you are unable to provide any of the above you must apply to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) for a certificate of evidence of Australian citizenship.External Link

    Change of name documentation

    You must provide official name change documentation for each and every name change. Provide one of the following documents to substantiate your change of name:

    • Australian Marriage certificate issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and MarriagesExternal Link with the identification/registration number clearly visible  Marriage certificates provided at your marriage ceremony cannot be accepted as they do not include identification/registration numbers. If you do not have a certificate issued by the relevant Births, Deaths and Marriages State Registry you will need to apply for one from the relevant state registry
    • overseas marriage certificate issued by official authority
    • decree nisi/decree absolute (i.e. formal evidence of divorce)
    • deed poll
    • re-issued birth certificate with name change documented
    • an official name change document issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and MarriagesExternal Link.

    If you use another name that is different to the name on your official documentation, for example, where you have not changed your name legally by marriage, divorce or deed poll, you need to complete a Statutory declarationExternal Link stating why your name is different.

    Certified copies of qualifications

    If you declared any qualifications in support of your application you will be required to provide a certified copy.

    We may confirm your qualifications directly with your educational institution.


    After we receive all complete and correct documentation, it can take up to 20 working days for the pre-engagement checks to be processed. If any issues are identified with any of the checks, this may add to the timeframe.

    Last modified: 07 Mar 2019QC 56296