Privacy notice – JobKeeper
We are authorised by the Taxation Administration Act 1953 to request tax file numbers (TFNs). We will use these TFNs to identify the relevant taxpayer in our records. It is not an offence not to provide any TFNs. However, if you do not provide TFNs, this may delay the assessment of your JobKeeper eligibility or the processing of your JobKeeper payment.
This privacy notice relates to these JobKeeper forms:
We are authorised to ask for the information on your JobKeeper form by the:
- Coronavirus Economic Response Package (Payments and Benefits) Act 2020
- Coronavirus Economic Response Package (Payments and Benefits) Rules 2020
- Coronavirus Economic Response Package Amendment (Payments and Benefits) Amendment Rules (No. 1) 2020
- Income Tax Assessment Act 1936
- Income Tax Assessment Act 1997
- Taxation Administration Act 1953
We need this information to help us administer taxation laws. If the information is not collected, it could delay or there could be an error in the assessment of your JobKeeper eligibility or the processing of your JobKeeper payment.
Certain information about your computer, your browser and the authentication process will also be logged when you interact online for JobKeeper.
Where authorised by law, we may collect certain information about your JobKeeper eligibility or payment from third parties, such as employees, employers or customers. We will use this information, and other information already held by us, to ascertain your eligibility to any JobKeeper payment.
Where authorised by law, we may give information collected in relation to your JobKeeper eligibility or payment to other government departments and agencies, including:
- Department of Education, Skills and Employment
- Fair Work Australia
- Services Australia
- Department of Social Services
- Department of Veterans' Affairs
- Australian Bureau of Statistics
- Reserve Bank of Australia
An authorised deposit-taking institution (ADI) that has been approached by an entity for finance to enable them to effectively participate in the JobKeeper payment program, may request confirmation from the ATO of information provided by the entity to the ADI, about information exchanged between the entity and the Commissioner, when the entity elected to participate in the JobKeeper payment program. Where authorised by law, we may confirm that information with the ADI.
We provide some taxpayer information to treaty partners overseas under international tax agreements.
If you are the holder of an Australian Business Number, some information on this form may be collected under the A New Tax System (Australian Business Number Act) 1999 and will be used to update your details on the Australian Business Register (ABR). Where authorised by law, selected information may be made publicly available and some may be passed to a wide range of government agencies, which include Commonwealth, state and local government agencies.
To contact us you can:
- phone us on 13 28 66 between 8.00am and 6.00pm Monday to Friday for more information about agencies receiving information from the ABR
- write to us at GPO Box 9990 in your capital city
This JobKeeper privacy notice relates to both employers and employees.