Show download pdf controls
  • Top call centre questions

    Find answers to top call centre questions here and save time. High call volumes may result in long wait times.

    On this page

    Do I need to apply for a director ID?

    If you're not sure if you need a director identification number (director ID) or how to apply by 30 November 2022, you can find answers at the ABRS website:

    Watch our videoExternal Link to see how to apply online.

    Why do I need to pay Medicare levy and Medicare levy surcharge?

    The Medicare levy helps fund some of the costs of Australia's public health system (Medicare).

    The levy is collected from you in the same way as income tax. Generally, your employer takes the levy from your salary or wages at the rate of 2% of your taxable income for the pay period. We then calculate your total Medicare levy for the year when you lodge your income tax return.

    You may need to pay more if you earn above a certain income and you, your spouse and your dependent children do not have an appropriate level of private patient hospital cover. This is the Medicare levy surcharge (MLS).

    Find out more about the Medicare levy surcharge income, thresholds and rates.

    When will I get my refund?

    Most electronically lodged tax returns are processed within 2 weeks. We process paper tax returns manually and this can take up to 10 weeks.

    The quickest and easiest way to check the progress of your tax return is by using our self-help services.

    If you’ve received notification that your refund has been processed, remember your refund may take up to 5 business days to be in your nominated bank account (depending on your financial institution).

    I made a mistake in my tax return. How do I fix it?

    Find out how to correct your tax return.

    How do I start an online payment plan?

    The easiest way to set up a payment plan, if you owe $100,000 or less, is by:

    You may also be eligible to adjust or cancel an existing payment plan.

    Before you start, we recommend using our payment plan estimator to work out a plan you can afford.

    If you can't afford a payment plan that’s offered online, or you owe more than $100,000, phone us on 13 11 42 during our operating hours to discuss your options.

    What's my tax file number?

    A tax file number (TFN) is your personal reference number in the tax and superannuation systems. It is free to apply for one.

    You don’t have to have a TFN, but more tax will be taken out of payments made to you by your employer or financial institution. You also won’t be able to:

    • apply for government benefits
    • lodge your tax return electronically
    • get an Australian business number (ABN).

    You can find your TFN by checking:

    • ATO online services through myGov – you'll need a myGov account linked to the ATO
    • My details in the ATO app – you'll need a myGov account linked to the ATO
    • a payment summary or income statement (provided by your employer)
    • in letters you've received from us, such as a statement of account
    • your income tax notice of assessment, if you have lodged a tax return
    • your superannuation account statement
    • with your registered tax agent.

    Find out how to apply for a TFN.

    Do I need to lodge an income tax return?

    To help you work out if you need to lodge a tax return, you can use the do I need to lodge tool on our website or in ATO online services through your myGov account.

    How do I link my myGov account to the ATO?

    To link your myGov account to the ATO:

    1. Sign in to myGov.
    2. Select View and link services.
    3. Select Link next to Australian Taxation Office.
    4. Follow the prompts to verify your tax record.

    If you're unable to verify your tax record online, you must phone us.

    Find out more on how to Create a myGov account and link it to the ATO and Information you need to link myGov to the ATO.

    Why can't I sign in to myGov?

    You may not be able to sign in to your myGov account because you:

    • changed your mobile phone number
    • went overseas and no longer have access to your Australian mobile number
    • deleted the myGov Code Generator app
    • can't answer your secret question.

    Find out what to do when you can't sign in to your myGov account.

    My question is not here

    Check out our Tax time essentials page.

    The myTax tax return instructions will help you complete your 2022 tax return online.

    If you still need to contact us, our busiest days are Mondays, so consider calling later in the week.

    We regularly update this page based on the calls we receive.

    Authorised by the Australian Government, Canberra.


    Last modified: 07 Mar 2023QC 62247