• Expecting a refund?

    If you have an ABN (Australian business number), we pay refunds directly into your nominated financial institution account.

    Generally, this account needs to be at an Australian branch and held either:

    • in your company, business or trading name (this can also be held jointly with another business or individual)
    • by a registered tax agent.

    If you don't have an ABN, generally we will pay your refund by cheque.

    Changing your account details

    You can change your account details:

    See also:

    Last modified: 09 May 2016QC 33702