Show download pdf controls
  • Don't miss out on a Commonwealth Government contract

    Businesses and their first tier subcontractors tendering for Commonwealth Government contracts over $4 million, including goods and services tax (GST), must obtain a statement of tax record (STR). If you received one last year, you may need to apply for a new one.

    The STR must show satisfactory engagement with the tax system, so it's important to keep your tax obligations up to date, including registration, lodgment and payment.

    When applying for an STR:

    • Apply early to allow time for processing before the tender closing date.
    • If you have a tax file number (TFN) or Australian business number (ABN), you must apply online using
      • the Business Portal
      • your myGov account
      • your registered tax agent who can apply using Online services for agents.
    • We generally process requests within four business days. You or your tax agent can then access your STR from the same online service and screen where the request was submitted.

    You will need to include your satisfactory STR with your tender. The Taxpayer Report is for your information only.

    An STR is valid for six or 12 months depending on if you have an Australian tax record of less or more than four years.

    For more information about who needs an STR, how to apply, and the support available for businesses affected by COVID-19, see Statement of tax record.

    See also:

    Last modified: 20 May 2020QC 62683