If your business changes or ceases
You must notify us within 30 days of changes to your business such as:
- change in ownership
- change in persons participating in the management or control of your business
- criminal charge or conviction of you or others participating in the management or control of your business
- receivership, administration, liquidation or bankruptcy
- change in premises
- change that substantially affects the physical security of the premises or plant and equipment used in relation to excisable goods at the premises
- change in the type of excisable goods being manufactured or stored
- change in the type of excise equivalent goods (EEGs) being stored or used in excise manufacture
- cessation of manufacture or storage of excisable goods or EEGs.
Ceasing your business
As a condition of your excise licence you must write to us within 30 days of ceasing to operate your business to request cancellation of your licence.
Before cancelling your licence we need to ensure you no longer have any excisable or customable products. We do this by:
- conducting a final audit of goods at the licensed premises
- working out if you're liable to pay any excise duty.
If you decide to sell your business inclusive of stock, we'll try to synchronise the timing of your licence cancellation with the licence approval for the new owner to ensure continuity of licensing for the premises and goods. However, this doesn't mean the new owner will automatically be granted a licence.
If you don't intend to sell the goods with your business, you can either:
- pay any outstanding excise duty on goods held at the licensed premises and then dispose of the goods as you wish
- move the goods to another licence holder's premises if you have permission from us.
If you're not just ceasing your excise activities but closing down your business permanently, you'll also need to cancel your GST and ABN registration.
You must keep us informed of changes to your excise or excise equivalent goods business. This includes writing to us within 30 days of ceasing to operate your excise business to request cancellation of your licence.