• Correcting errors

    To correct an error you have made on a submitted claim form, such as a calculation error, you can write to us. Your letter must be signed by you or a person authorised to act on your behalf and must contain:

    • your name and contact details
    • EIN, TFN or ABN
    • the start and end date for the return period in which the error occurred
    • the fuel type and activity that the error occurred with
    • the amount of the error in eligible litres (or kilograms)
    • the reason for the error.

    Next steps:

    • Send your letter to:

      Australian Taxation Office
      PO Box 3007
      PENRITH NSW 2740

    Penalties and the general interest charge

    You may incur a penalty if you claim more fuel tax credits than you are entitled to.

    You may also incur a general interest charge (GIC) if you have:

    • made an adjustment that decreases the amount of fuel tax credits you are eligible to claim and you became aware of the need for the adjustment in an earlier period or
    • made an error.

    If you receive an overpayment of fuel tax credits, the overpaid amount should be treated as tax that is due. This means that you must repay the overpayment plus any penalties and GIC owing from the date of the overpayment.

    If you make a genuine error and let us know, we may adjust any penalties that apply.

    Last modified: 26 May 2015QC 44544