• Claiming a refund of overpaid GST

    You can apply for a refund if you have overpaid GST in past tax periods. This may occur, for example, when you have:

    • not taken into account contributions to linked jackpot operators
    • not taken into account monetary prizes paid in lucky member draws
    • incorrectly accounted for GST on the provision or sale of meals and beverages.

    Time limits apply for the period that you are entitled to a refund.

    Tax periods starting before 1 July 2012

    Claims for GST refunds, other payments and credits more than four years after the end of a tax period to which the entitlement relates generally cannot be made. You need to advise us of your entitlement to refund within the four year period to claim such a refund.

    Tax periods starting on or after 1 July 2012

    For tax periods starting on or after 1 July 2012, on lodging your activity statement, we are taken to have made an assessment of your net amount. Your activity statement is treated as being a notice of assessment issued on the day it is given to us. Generally, your assessment can be amended only within four years from the day the notice of assessment is given to you.

      Last modified: 24 Jun 2015QC 16213