Widely-based settlement offer – Inbound tour operators (ITOs)
We recently agreed to settle with eligible inbound tour operators (ITOs) that have treated margins as being subject to GST. An ITO is not obliged to take up the offer.
The settlement offer
If you are an eligible ITO and want to take up the offer:
- we will pay 75% of the GST you overpaid on your margins (subject to the four-year time limit for claiming GST refunds)*
- * if you have an outstanding tax debt, the refund will be offset against this debt and only the balance (if any) will be paid to you
- you must account for 75% of the income tax payable on your margin.
Eligibility for settlement offer
To be eligible, you must:
- be up-to-date with your taxation lodgment obligations
- have records that substantiate your GST refund claims (which you can provide to us if requested)
- have acted as agent of your non-resident clients throughout the refund period (we will accept your self-assessment that you are an agent, unless we consider the assessment is clearly wrong).
You should not self-amend your activity statements. Any amendment will be undertaken by us as part of the settlement process.
Registering your interest
To register your interest to claim a refund, you or your authorised representative can contact us at: ITXICB@ato.gov.au
We intend to publish web content in September 2016 to help you correctly report your ITO supplies. The settlement offer will remain open until three months from the time we publish the content.
The ATO recently agreed to settle with eligible ITOs that have treated their margins as being subject to GST.