Show download pdf controls
  • Copies of documents – applicants outside Australia

    Copies of documents you provide to support your tax file number (TFN) application or other purpose required by us should be certified as true and correct copies of the original document.

    You must arrange for documents in another language to be translated into English and certified as a true and correct copy by an authorised translation service.

    If you post certified copies of documents to us, we may not return them to you.

    Find out about:

    Certifying documents

    The following people are authorised to certify your identity documents outside Australia:

    • notary publics
    • staff at your nearest Australian:
      • embassy
      • high commission
      • consulate – including consulates headed by Austrade honorary consuls.

    An authorised certifier in the presence of the applicant should certify that each copy is a true and correct copy of the original document, by:

    • stamping, signing and annotating the copy of the identity document to state 'I have sighted the original document and certify this to be a true and correct copy of the original document sighted'
    • initialling each page
    • listing their name, date of certification, telephone number and position.

    See also:

    • Visit the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website at Link for a listing of Australian embassies, high commissions and consulates by country.

    Copies bearing an apostille

    Public documents, such as birth and marriage certificates, from outside Australia may be certified by way of an apostille.

    An apostille is a type of certification issued by a competent authority designated by the state in which a document was issued.

    We will accept paper and electronic documents certified by an apostille.

    If your country is a party to the Hague Apostille Convention, you can ask the competent authority in your country to certify a copy of your documents.

    See also:

    Documents in languages other than English

    If you provide documents that aren’t written in English, you must also provide an English translation made by an approved translation service.

    All translations must include a statement from the authorised translator that it is a ‘true and correct translation made from the document sighted’.

    The translation should also display an official stamp, or similar showing the certifier’s accreditation.

    Translations should also be accompanied by a certified copy of the original document in the language of origin, which has been stamped and signed as a true and correct copy by an approved certifier.

    If you are obtaining the translation in:

    • Australia – contact the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd (NAATI) for a list of approved translators.    
    • Overseas – contact your nearest Australian embassy, high commission, or consulate to determine approved translators in your country.  
      • For a listing of these offices by country, visit the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website at Link.

    Lodging your documents

    To lodge these documents, you may:

    Note: If you post certified copies of documents to us, we may not return them to you.

    Where to send your documents

    Where to send your certified documents or contact us

     If the application is being made by

    the address for mail is

    and phone enquiries should be directed to

    an individual

    Australian Taxation Office
    PO Box 9942

    +61 2 6216 1111 between 8.00am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
    Ask to be transferred to Personal tax enquiries.

    a company,
    a partnership,
    a trust, or
    other organisation

    Australian Taxation Office
    Non Resident Registrations Team
    GPO Box 9977

    +61 2 6216 1111 between 8.00am and 5.00pm Monday to Friday.
    Ask to be transferred to Business tax enquiries.

    Presenting your documents in person

    If you are travelling to Australia, you may take your original identification documents to one of our offices, together with any letter we have sent you.

    If you do not have your letter with you, you will need to have the details of the original application you lodged, including:

    • the name of the entity or business applying
    • what you have applied for
    • the date you sent or submitted your application.

    Our staff can sight your documents, note the details and return them to you immediately.

    See also:

    • For more information about our shopfronts, including addresses and hours of operation – refer to visit us.
      Last modified: 24 Aug 2016QC 20108