Show download pdf controls
  • Annual vacancy fee return for foreign owners - you may need to lodge

    Are you or your clients foreign owners of residential property in Australia?

    Under legislation introduced in December 2017, foreign owners of residential dwellings in Australia are required to lodge an annual vacancy fee return.

    Owners of residential dwellings are required to pay an annual vacancy fee if their dwelling is not residentially occupied or genuinely available on the rental market for more than 183 days (six months) in a year. Where a dwelling has been occupied or made available for rent during the year, owners must still lodge a vacancy fee return with us every year.

    The vacancy fee return must be lodged by foreign owners of residential dwellings who:

    • made a foreign investment application for residential property after 7.30pm AEST on 9 May 2017
    • purchased under a New Dwelling Exemption Certificate that a developer had applied for after 7:30pm AEST on 9 May 2017.

    How to lodge

    Returns must be lodged within 30 days of the end of each vacancy year. The vacancy year is usually the 12 month period from the settlement date for the property.

    To lodge, foreign owners will need a copy of their Land and Water Register reference number. If they do not have a registration number, they can obtain one by registering the property details on our Land and Water Register.

    To find out more, register now for our live webinar on 5 September 2018.

    See also

    Media: [The Annual Vacancy fee] Link (Duration: 24:26)

      Last modified: 13 Aug 2018QC 56456