Are you an importer eligible to defer your GST?
The deferred GST scheme allows eligible importers to defer your GST on taxable importations. Instead of paying the GST upfront, you can defer your payment until you lodge your first activity statement after the goods are imported.
There are certain criteria you have to meet before you can register for the deferred GST (DGST) scheme.
To be eligible, you must:
- have an ABN
- be registered for GST (you can register for GST and apply for an ABN on the one form if you don't already have an ABN)
- lodge your activity statements online
- lodge your activity statements monthly (if you are lodging quarterly, you can elect to lodge monthly)
- make your activity statement payments electronically.
You may also not be eligible if:
- you aren’t up to date with your tax returns or payments
- you, or anyone relevant to the application, have been convicted or penalised by a court for specific offences in the past three years.
If you are an importer, you may be able to defer your GST.