Foreign investment guide released
We've released Australia’s foreign invest framework, a guide to help foreign investors and their representatives understand recent changes to purchasing Australian property.
It will also be helpful for real estate agents, conveyancers, law firms, migration agents, tax professionals and mortgage brokers.
The guide provides a comprehensive overview of the new rules, including:
- background to the foreign investment reforms
- our new role in administering the residential real estate functions
- information for foreign investors on acquiring different types of land
- fees and penalties.
It also includes examples of scenarios foreign investors or their representatives might encounter when trying to understand how the rules might affect them.
Background on the reforms
On 1 December 2015, changes were made to Australia’s foreign investment framework. The changes were introduced to modernise and simplify the framework whilst ensuring that foreign investment continues to increase Australia’s housing stock.
How to access the guide
We've released a guide to help foreign investors and their representatives to navigate recent changes to purchasing Australian property.
- Go to the ATO’s products onlineExternal Link site
- Click on the 'Search PDF publications' button
- Type in the publication box Australia’s foreign invest framework
- Click 'Search'
- A PDF product will be displayed
- Click 'Download'