Show download pdf controls
  • Registering foreign investments on the ATO Land and water register

    You may need to register your interests on the ATO Land and water register if you're a foreign person investing in Australian:

    • residential real estate
    • agricultural land, or
    • water entitlements.

    There are some things you may need to know before registering your investment as the process will vary depending on what you are investing in.

    Water entitlements

    If you hold a ‘registrable water entitlement’ or ‘contractual water right’, you may need to register your interest with us.

    You can register at any time during the year, but no later than 30 days after the end of the financial year in which you started to hold your interest.

    Agricultural land or residential real estate

    If you're planning to buy residential real estate or agricultural land, you may need to apply for foreign investment approval before you can proceed with the purchase.

    Once your application has been approved, you'll need to register with us no later than 30 days after the date of settlement.

    If your situation changes

    If you have sold your interests or are no longer considered a foreign person, you may no longer be required to be registered. You can update your details by completing the ATO Land and water registration form.

    If you’ve recently updated your email address, you can let us know using the FIRB update email form.

    See also:

      Last modified: 03 Dec 2018QC 57383