Glossary and conditions
On this page:
Payment reference number
Your payment reference number (or EFT code) is printed on your payment slip or debt notice.
You can also go online to get your payment reference number:
Individuals - payment reference number
Businesses - payment reference number
- Businesses – log in to the Business Portal and select ‘Payment options’ from the left menu:
Alternatively, individuals and businesses can:
- ask your tax agent
- email email@example.com
- phone 1800 815 886, 8.00am-6.00pm, Monday to Friday.
There are different reference numbers for different types of tax. Make sure you use the right one for the type of tax you're paying.
You'll need a payment slip to pay at the post office. Payment slips are generally available on notices of assessment or statements of account.
Business taxpayers can print a payment slip using the ATO Business Portal – select 'Payment options' from the left menu:
Businesses - payment slips
If you need to order a payment slip:
- phone 13 72 26 to order an activity statement payment slip – you'll need your ABN to use this automated service
- phone 13 28 65 to order an income tax, Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) or Student Financial Supplement Scheme (SFSS) payment slip – you'll need your tax file number (TFN) to use this automated service.
Registered agents can use the Tax Agent PortalExternal Link or BAS Agent PortalExternal Link to print personalised payment slips for their clients – select 'Payment options' from the left menu.
Credit card terms and conditions
Card payment fee
A card payment fee may apply to card payments to the ATO. The fee is:
- a percentage of the amount being paid, based on the type of card used
- equal to the fee we incur from our banker
- not subject to GST.
When you make your payment you'll be asked to confirm the fee amount and transaction total before you finalise your payment.
Card payment receipts
When you pay using any of our card payment services we'll give you a receipt number. The payment details will be displayed on your card statement as 'ATO payment' and 'Card payment fee – ATO'.
Payments made on a weekend, national public holiday or after 6.00pm AEST will be processed on the next business day.
Information about credit card terms and conditions, electronic funds transfer (EFT) codes, payment reference numbers (PRNs), payment slips and receipts when paying the ATO.
- Phone 1800 815 886, 8.00am–6.00pm weekdays.
- If calling from overseas, phone +61 2 6216 1111 and ask to be connected to extension 92150, 8.00am–5.00pm, Monday to Friday AEST.