• Correcting a mistake

    There may be times you make a mistake in managing your obligations, or you need to make an adjustment because circumstances have changed.

    We accept that the vast majority of taxpayers try to be honest in their tax affairs, and therefore that the information they provide is complete and accurate, unless we find evidence of carelessness, recklessness or intentional disregard of the law.

    Like you, we want to resolve issues quickly and cooperatively. If you find that you've made a mistake the first thing you should do is contact us. We will explain your options and help you make the right choice.

    You can:

    Amendment requests

    Generally, if you need to correct something on your tax return or activity statement and you have not been told that we are doing a review or audit or we haven't raised an assessment in a review or audit, you can request an amendment. If you want to dispute the facts or law in an assessment raised by the ATO you use the objection process.

    Voluntary disclosures

    If you tell us about a false or misleading statement you have made or request an amendment that increases your tax payable – and you do so without prompting, persuasion or compulsion on our part – we generally refer to it as a 'voluntary disclosure'.

    A voluntary disclosure provides you with the opportunity to bring your tax affairs into order.

    In most cases, a voluntary disclosure opens the way to concessional treatment for any applicable administrative penalties and interest charges.

    See also:

    Last modified: 02 Jun 2015QC 44833