Show download pdf controls
  • Using a tax agent or R&D consultant

    If you are planning to pay someone to help you prepare and lodge your tax return or R&D tax incentive schedule, you need to make sure they are a registered tax agent.

    Only a registered tax agent can charge a fee to prepare and lodge your tax return, or provide other services described as 'tax agent services'. They must be registered with the Tax Practitioners Board and must follow strict laws that ensure they act in a professional manner.

    Tax agent services - if provided for a fee or reward - include advising and assisting you with tax concessions for expenditure incurred on research and development activities, where this involves the application of taxation laws.

    Accordingly, an R&D consultant may be required to be registered with the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB).

    If you are not sure if your tax agent is registered, you can ask to see their Certificate of Registration or you can visit the Tax Practitioners Board website Link and search the tax agent register.

    Last modified: 01 Mar 2016QC 24609