Record keeping and online reporting
Keeping good records and meeting your reporting requirements is an essential part of running your business. Interacting with us online will save you time.
Setting up a good record-keeping system helps you keep track of your income and expenses, making it easier to meet your reporting requirements, and substantiate claims in your tax return. Keeping accurate records can also help you understand how your business is performing compared to other similar businesses, using the small business benchmarks.
When you buy a record-keeping system, consider getting Standard Business Reporting (SBR) enabled software. With SBR enabled software you can lodge a range of ATO forms, including activity statements, some tax returns, tax file number declarations and PAYG payment summaries. Even more forms will be added soon.
Most of your business reporting can be done online through the Business Portal. If you lodge online, you may qualify for an extra two weeks to lodge and pay your activity statement (terms and conditions apply).
Use the Business Portal to:
Register to use our online services
- lodge your activity statements and revise, view and print details of previously lodged activity statements
- view your activity statements, income tax, fringe benefits tax and certain super accounts online
- request transfers and refunds of credit amounts
- view and update most business registration details, including your address and bank account details
- send secure messages to us and receive secure replies about information available on the Business Portal.
Keeping good records and meeting your reporting requirements are essential parts of running your business.