Show download pdf controls
  • Bilateral social security agreement with Norway

    If you send an Australian employee to work temporarily in Norway, you must continue to pay superannuation guarantee contributions in Australia for them.

    Before you send the employee, Apply online for a certificate of coverage.

    We'll issue a certificate to you on the basis that you'll continue to make super guarantee contributions in Australia for the employee. You or your employee can then show the certificate to the Norwegian authorities to be exempted from super payments in Norway. The certificate can cover a period of up to three years.

    When you receive the certificate, keep a copy for your records and give the original to your employee to take with them to Norway.

    Before your employee starts work in Norway you must send a copy of the certificate to:

    NAV Control
    Postboks 6600
    Etterstad 0607 Oslo

    Norwegian employees don't need to provide a copy of a Norwegian-issued certificate of coverage to us or any other Australian government agency unless we ask for it.

    On this page:

    About the agreement

    Our bilateral social security agreement with Norway applies when double super coverage occurs – that is, when you or your employee would otherwise have to make super guarantee contributions (or equivalent) in both countries for the same work by your employee. It applies to Australian super guarantee law and Norwegian social security laws.

    The agreement started on 1 January 2007.

    See also:

    Effect for different types of employee

    Employees working temporarily overseas

    If you send your employee to work in Norway for a period not exceeding three years – for your business or a related entity – and double super coverage occurs, only the super laws of your home country will apply. This means super guarantee contributions (or equivalent) are required only under the law of the country that your employee is most likely to retire in.


    Sally is sent by her Australian employer to work in Norway for two years. Sally will still be covered by Australia's super guarantee legislation as well as the Norwegian laws while working in the Norway Republic – therefore double super coverage occurs..

    As double super coverage occurs, the agreement takes effect and exempts Sally and her employer from making contributions under Norwegian law. Sally's employer will continue to make super guarantee contributions as required in Australia.

    End of example

    Government employees working temporarily overseas

    If a government employee is sent to work temporarily in Norway and double super coverage occurs, only the super laws of Australia will apply.

    The secondment period for government employees working in Norway is not subject to the three-year limit.

    Self-employed people

    The agreement doesn't apply to self-employed Australian residents working in Norway. They're not subject to super guarantee law in Australia so double super coverage doesn't occur.

    Work on ships and aircraft

    If double super coverage occurs for a person working on a ship or aircraft in international traffic, the law of the country in which the person is a resident will apply.

    Work on the Norwegian continental shelf

    Where an employee of an Australian employer is sent to work on the Norwegian continental shelf for a temporary period (not exceeding three years) and double super coverage occurs, the employer will be subject only to super guarantee law in Australia.


    The agreement doesn't affect the treatment of diplomats and consulate officials under the relevant Vienna Conventions on diplomatic and consular relations.

    Extension beyond three years

    Generally, a certificate of coverage will cover Australian employees for up to three years employment in Norway. If you need coverage for longer than three years, you'll need to write to us explaining the reasons for the extension.

    Approval to extend a certificate of coverage is determined on a case-by-case basis. We can grant an extension only with the mutual agreement of the relevant agency in Norway, and only in certain circumstances.

    An extension may be granted when:

    • an individual who was scheduled to replace the worker is unable to do so because of death, serious illness or resignation
    • the worker must remain in the country of secondment due to an unexpected personal situation – this includes medical reasons (self, spouse, children) or if the worker's children are required to stay to complete the school year
    • the worker has been under one country's social security system throughout his or her career and is planning to retire in the immediate future
    • the extension is for a short period
    • the worker returned to the country of origin for a short period during the period of secondment for unexpected personal reasons – this includes medical reasons (self, spouse, children)
    • the extension for work purposes would be in the national interest of either country
    • cessation will cause undue hardship to the employer/employee
    • there has been a reorganisation of a company and the worker maintains an important role in the reorganisation
    • the worker has special skills or background, and the employer makes a strong case for needing the worker to complete a special assignment or project that will be concluded within one to three years after the three-year secondment period.

    An extension may also be granted in other special circumstances.

    You will need to provide a supporting document giving reasons for the extension and include:

    • employer's name, Australian business number and contact details
    • employee's name
    • certificate number.

    You should attach the supporting document when you apply online for an extension to a previously submitted request. This will generate a new certificate of coverage reference number.

    See also:

      Last modified: 17 Jan 2020QC 19163