• Determine your employer-nominated or default fund

    Before you offer your employee the option to choose a super fund, you must have a fund you will pay their super into if they can't or don't choose their own fund.

    This fund is called your employer-nominated or default fund.

    You give your employee details of this fund in section B of the Standard choice form.

    The super fund you nominate must:

    • be a complying fund (that is, one that meets specific requirements and obligations under super law)
    • be registered by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA) to offer a MySuper product.

    To make sure your fund meets these requirements, check with the trustee or an authorised representative of the fund, or check on our register of complying super funds: Superfundlookup.gov.auExternal Link.

    On this page:

    Participating employer

    Some super funds may ask that you become a 'participating employer' before you can pay contributions to them. If you agree, you may have to make super payments more regularly – such as monthly, instead of quarterly.

    If you don't want to become a participating employer, talk with your nominated fund (or with the fund your employee chooses instead) to find out how best to make super contributions for your employee.


    It is illegal for a super fund to give you benefits – for example, a free holiday – as an incentive to use their fund as your nominated fund.

    It's not illegal for a super fund to give benefits to your employees – such as financial literacy seminars or preferential death benefits – as an incentive for them to choose their fund.

    Next step:

    See also:

    Last modified: 01 Jun 2015QC 33736