Show download pdf controls
  • Baby bonus instructions and claim 2004-05

    This publication can be downloaded in Portable Document Format (PDF): download Baby bonus instructions and claim 2004-05 here (714KB).

    Important information



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    You have until 30 June 2014 to lodge late baby bonus claims.

    From 1 January 2010, you can only lodge your claim in two ways:

    • complete the claim form and post it to us
    • go to a registered tax agent.


    What is the baby bonus?

    The baby bonus is a refundable tax offset - even if you do not pay tax, do not have any income or do not have to lodge a tax return you can still claim it. You can only claim it from the Tax Office. The baby bonus is paid whether or not you currently get any other family benefits - for example, the maternity allowance.

    Who is it for?

    If you had a baby or you gained legal responsibility for a child aged under five (for example, through adoption), on or after 1 July 2001 and before 1 July 2004 - whether or not you already have other children - you could receive the baby bonus. Usually, it is the mother of the child who is eligible to claim the baby bonus.

    How much will you get?

    How much baby bonus you get depends on your taxable income each year. If your taxable income is $25,000 or less you will be entitled to a minimum annual amount of $500. You may get less in the first year, as the baby bonus is calculated from your baby's date of birth (or the date you gained legal responsibility for your child). If your taxable income is more than $25,000 when you claim, you will only get the baby bonus if your income has reduced. You may get more than $500 if there has been a significant reduction in your taxable income.



    All references made to 'year' are to income year - 1 July to 30 June. For example, the income year for 1 July 2004 to 30 June 2005 is 2005.

    End of attention

    How do you make a claim?

    Your baby bonus claim and any enquiries are dealt with by the Tax Office. You can make a claim in a number of ways:

    • Visit the Tax Office website and lodge your baby bonus claim online using e-tax. Most claims are processed within 14 days. See below for more information.
    • Use these instructions and the claim at the back - then post your claim to the Tax Office (attached to your tax return if you have to lodge one). Most claims are processed within six weeks.
    • Go to a registered tax agent. Lodge your claim at the end of the income year - any time after 30 June 2005.

    If you need help with making your baby bonus claim you may be able to use the Tax Help service. See More information.

    Use e-tax and lodge your baby bonus claim over the internet

    e-tax will help you to prepare your baby bonus claim easily, quickly and securely using the internet. It will estimate your baby bonus amount for you. Visit our website and lodge your baby bonus claim using e-tax. e-tax is available from 1 July 2005.


    Adoptive parent

    You may be entitled to claim from the date your adopted child came into your care rather than from the date you became legally responsible for the child. For more information visit our website or phone us on 13 28 61.

    End of attention
    Last modified: 13 Feb 2019QC 27590