Show download pdf controls
  • More information




    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention
    • For general tax information and to download publications and rulings, visit


    Our infolines are open Monday to Friday 8.00am to 6.00pm except where otherwise indicated. Make sure you have your Baby bonus instructions and claim 2008 handy when you phone.

    • Baby bonus enquiries 13 28 61
      Our Personal Infoline can help you with your questions about the baby bonus or whether you should lodge a tax return.
    • Baby bonus refunds13 28 65
      Check the progress of your baby bonus claim. This is an automated self-help service available 24 hours a day, every day. You will need to key in your tax file number using your phone keypad.

    If you sent your baby bonus claim by ordinary post, wait seven weeks before phoning to check on the progress of your claim.

    If you lodged your baby bonus claim online using e-tax, wait three weeks before phoning.

    • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Infoline13 10 30
      Specialises in helping Indigenous clients with their personal tax matters.
    • Superannuation Infoline13 10 20
      For assistance with your superannuation enquiries.

    Other services

    • Translating and Interpreting Service13 14 50
      If you do not speak English well and want to talk to a tax officer, phone the Translating and Interpreting Service for help with your call. 
    • Hearing or speech impairment
      If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can phone the Tax Office through the NationalRelay Service:
      • If you are a TTY or modem user, phone 13 36 77 and ask for the number you want. For 1800 free call numbers, phone 1800 555 677 and ask for the number you want.
      • If you are a voice-only (speak and listen) user, phone 1300 555 727 and ask for the number you want. For 1800 free call numbers, phone 1800 555 727 and ask for the number you want.

    Tax Help

    If you want to complete your own baby bonus claim but think you may need some assistance, Tax Help may be the answer.

    We train and support this network of community volunteers to help you.

    Tax Help is a free and confidential service for people on low income.

    Many people who use Tax Help are seniors, people from non-English speaking backgrounds, people with a disability, Aboriginal people, Torres Strait Islander people and students.

    Volunteers can explain your obligations and help you prepare your baby bonus claim accurately.

    There are Tax Help centres throughout Australia. If you want to visit one of the trained volunteers, you need to make an appointment first. Bring the Baby bonus instructions and claim 2008 and all relevant papers with you when you visit.

    For more information or to find out where your nearest Tax Help centre is, phone the Personal Infoline on 13 28 61.

    Last modified: 04 Feb 2010QC 21666