Amending an ESS annual report
If you need to amend or include additional details after the original ESS report has been lodged with us, the corrected details should be reported in another annual report form for the same financial year. Place an 'X' in the box marked 'Amended' on page 1.
To lodge an amended annual report you need to complete and lodge the following sections:
Section A: ESS provider details
All details must be reported exactly as they were reported in the original report.
When you send us reports with amended records, you must report the following information exactly as it appears in the original record:
- income year
- provider ABN
- provider employee ID
- employee TFN
- plan reference / identifier
- plan date / taxing point.
Failure to replicate exactly the previously reported identifiers will result in multiple records in the ATO system and ATO prefill and can lead to unnecessary compliance audits for your employees.
Section B: Employee details
- Complete a new section B for an employee if they have amended employee details or ESS details. Only one section B needs to be completed for each employee.
- All details relating to this employee are to be reported exactly as they were reported in the original report.
- Amended employee details in section B are only required for errors to the following employee details originally reported. If any of the following details are being amended then you are required to complete a section B with all of the incorrect previously reported details accompanied by a section C and reporting '0' in the monetary fields. You are then required to complete another original section B with the amended details
- employee TFN or ABN, or ESS provider's ABN
- ESS provider employee identifier
- employee date of birth
- employee name.
You do not need to report amendments to a change of employee name (ie, deed poll) or employee change of address.
Section C: Employee share scheme details
- Complete a new section C for amended ESS details.
- All details and amounts relating to the amended ESS details are to be reported exactly as they were reported in the original report. To cancel a previously reported taxing event use '0' in the monetary fields and replicate exactly the following details. If you are amending the monetary amounts, replicate exactly the following details and report the correct monetary amount and number of interests.
- Employee SRN/HIN number or type
- Employee amount(s)
- Employee number of ESS interest fiels
- Plan identifier or plan date/taxing point
- Any amounts that were reported incorrectly on the original report should be corrected on the amended report. For example if $200 was originally reported in the 'discount from deferral schemes' field but it should have been reported as $400, the amount of $400 should be reported for 'discount from deferral schemes' in the amended report.
Amended section C details must have an 'X' written in the 'Amended' box at question 15, Amendment indicator.
Employee or ESS details not included in original annual report
If you have already lodged your original report and want to provide employee or ESS details that have not been sent to us, you can include the new section B and section C details within the amended annual report.
Original section C details contained in the amended report and not previously sent to us must have an 'X' written in the 'Original' box at question 15, Amendment indicator.
Section C lodged in error
If you have lodged section C details for an employee in error and want those original details to be disregarded, prepare an amended ESS annual report Section B for the same plan identifier and employee identifier, and report zero amounts at all questions in Section C.
Amending provider's employee identifier and plan identifier
If you want to amend section B, question 7, 'Provider's employee identifier', or section C, question 16 'Plan identifier and plan date/taxing point', you must:
- prepare amended section C details for the original plan identifier and employee identifier by writing 'X' in the 'Amended' box at question 15 'Amendment indicator' and then report zero amounts at all questions in Section C
- prepare original Section B and Section C details for the corrected plan identifier and employee identifier by writing 'X' in the 'Original' box at question 15 'Amendment indicator' and then report the correct information at all questions in Section C.
This is because we need the original employee identifier and plan identifier to find the details that require amending in our systems.
Provider Y lodges an ESS annual report for the 2011 financial year for an employee with plan identifier number 'A123' and an employee identifier number 'R789'. The discount amount from taxed-upfront schemes eligible for reduction was reported as $50,000.
Y later finds that the discount amount of only $5,000 should have been reported for the employee. It seeks to amend the amount, but incorrectly reports the wrong plan identifier 'A327' with the corrected discount amount of $5,000.
We treat both of the ESS lodgments as original as they have different plan identifier numbers. We query the employee for having a larger amount of income to be assessed than indicated in their income tax return. The employee asks their provider, Y, to amend the amount they have reported to the ATO.
Y now needs to lodge two amended ESS forms for employee 'R789'. The first is to amend the first ESS report it lodged by giving plan identifier 'A123' a discount amount from taxed-upfront schemes eligible for reduction amount of $5,000. The second is to amend the next ESS report it lodged to be disregarded, by giving plan identifier 'A327' a zero value for the discount amount.
End of example
Section D: Declaration
Complete a new Section D.
When you prepare an amended ESS annual report, be sure to:
Last modified: 20 May 2016QC 23069
- complete all sections (A to D) of the form
- provide amended Section B and Section C details and any additional original Section B and Section C details that were not reported in a prior annual report for the same financial year.