Show download pdf controls
  • Lodgment and payment requirements



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    When to lodge

    Generally, the franking account tax return must be lodged and the franking deficit tax liability and/or over-franking tax liability must be paid on the last day of the month following the end of the income year.

    Late balancing corporate tax entities that elect to have their franking deficit tax liability determined on 30 June each year must lodge a franking account tax return by 31 July each year. This date is the date by which the franking deficit tax is payable. Please note that there are different lodgment obligations in relation to over-franking tax liabilities and disclosure obligations for these entities. For more information, see Important messages for late balancing corporate tax entities that elect to have their FDT liability determined on 30 June.

    There are some different lodgment and payment rules that arise in relation to certain refunds received within three months after:

    • the end of the income year (or the period ending 30 June for certain late balancing corporate tax entities), or
    • a corporate tax entity ceases to be a franking entity.

    For more information on these different lodgment and payment rules, see A refund of income tax affecting a franking deficit tax liability.

    Subsidiary members of a consolidated group, where the head company has not notified the tax office of the group's formation, may still be obliged to lodge a franking account tax return and pay any franking tax liability. Until the Tax Office receives notification of the group's formation this obligation will still exist. If the subsidiary member believes it will not have an obligation to lodge a franking account tax return because it will be a member of a consolidated group for the full income year, it may request a deferral of time to lodge.

    If the company does not subsequently form part of a consolidated group, the company will have to lodge a return and pay any franking tax amount owing. GIC may be applied back to the original due date.

    If the company lodges a return and pays its franking tax liability on the due date and subsequently the head company notifies the Tax Office that the company was a subsidiary member for the full year, the subsidiary member will need to contact the Tax Office to amend the return to zero and request a refund of any franking tax amount paid for this return.

    Where to lodge

    Post your franking account tax return with your payment to:

    Australian Taxation Office
    Locked Bag 1793
    Penrith NSW 1793

    How to pay

    Payments cannot be made at Australia Post using the payment slip on this tax return. However, you can make payments as follows:

    By post: Send your payment, together with the completed tax return, to the above address. Do not send cash or use pins or staples. Make cheques or money orders payable to the Deputy Commissioner of Taxation, crossed 'Not negotiable'.

    By BPAY : Pay by phone or internet from your cheque or savings account. Quote 'Biller code 75556' and your EFT code as the customer reference. Your EFT code can only be obtained by phoning 1800 815 886.
      Registered to BPAY Pty Ltd ABN 69 079 137 518

    By direct credit: Use your internet banking third party/pay anyone option or banking software package to pay into:

    Bank: Reserve Bank of Australia
    BSB no: 093 003
    Account no: 316 385

    Record your EFT code in the lodgment reference field. To obtain your EFT code or for more details phone 1800 815 886.

    Note: If you choose to pay by BPAY or direct credit you must still lodge your completed franking account tax return at:

    Australian Taxation Office
    Locked Bag 1793
    Penrith NSW 1793

    Last modified: 02 Apr 2020QC 18007