Show download pdf controls
  • Acquisition of a dwelling from a company or trust upon marriage breakdown



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    If a dwelling is transferred to you from a company or trustee of a trust under a court order as a result of your marriage breakdown, you are treated as having owned the dwelling while it was owned by the company or trustee. However, it cannot be treated as your main residence during any part of the period that the company or trustee owned it. Therefore, if a dwelling is transferred to you by a company or trustee, you will be entitled only to partial exemption. This is calculated by dividing the period after the transfer during which it is your main residence by the total period of ownership.

    Last modified: 18 Sep 2009QC 18323