Show download pdf controls
  • Destruction of dwelling and sale of land



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    If your home is accidentally destroyed and you then dispose of the vacant land on which it was built, you can choose to treat the land as your main residence.

    If you make this choice, the land is exempt from the time your home was destroyed until you dispose of the land, as well as for the period it was used as part of your main residence. The maximum area of land that can be exempt is 2 hectares. You cannot claim the main residence exemption for this period for any other dwelling, except for a limited time if you are changing main residences (see Moving from one main residence to another).

    Last modified: 06 Oct 2009QC 27417