New rules for demergers
This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.
End of attention
There are new rules that apply to eligible demergers that happen on or after 1 July 2002. The following demergers are subject to these new rules - you will find specific details in appendix 4:
- BHP Billiton Ltd demerger of BHP Steel Ltd (now known as BlueScope)
- WMC Ltd (renamed Alumina) demerger of WMC Resources Ltd
- Sonic Healthcare Ltd demerger of SciGen Ltd
- CSR Ltd demerger of Rinker Group Ltd, and
- Mincor Resources NL demerger of Tethyan Copper Company Ltd.
The AMP demerger is not subject to the new rules.
See our factsheet, AMP group demerger, and calculator, available on our website at www.ato.gov.au/demergers
In addition, there were a number of demergers that happened before 1 July 2002. These demergers also have different tax consequences for shareholders - some of these demergers are covered in appendix 4.
Last modified: 04 Mar 2016QC 27527