Show download pdf controls
  • Applying for HECS-HELP benefit

    On 1 July 2017, the HECS-HELP benefit was removed. This means the 2016–17 income year is the last you can claim the HECS-HELP benefit. However, you still have until 30 June 2019 to lodge your application. Late applications will not be accepted.

    There are two different application forms for HECS-HELP benefit depending on your area of study:

    • early childhood education
    • maths, science, education or nursing (including midwifery).

    If you're eligible, you can apply for the HECS-HELP benefit by completing the relevant application form via links below.

    You have two years to lodge your application from the end of the income year for which you are applying. We will not accept late applications.

    Income year for which you are claiming the HECS-HELP benefit

    Applications must be lodged with us by

    2016–17 income year

    30 June 2019

    Eligible graduates may apply for the HECS-HELP benefit on an annual basis for a total lifetime claim of 260 weeks. The claim does not need to be for a continuous period. The number of weeks claimed each year is subtracted from the 260 weeks until the entitlement is reduced to nil.

    Lodging your application

    1. Complete the eligibility checklist at the start of the application form. You must complete the questions on this checklist to determine your eligibility. If you're not able to answer Yes to all requirements, you will not be eligible for the benefit.
    2. Complete all fields in the application form.
    3. Print application form when completed.
    4. Sign and date application form.
    5. Send us your completed application, including any attachments. Before you send your application, make a copy for your own records – you cannot withdraw your application once it has been processed.

    If you're having issues viewing the application form in your web browser, you will need to use an alternative web browser.

    The best time to lodge your application is before you lodge your Australian tax return or report your worldwide income earned as a non-resident. If you lodge it afterwards, we will amend your notice of assessment or notice of overseas levy.

    If you have completed one or more eligible courses and work in an eligible occupation in Australia, you may be entitled to claim more than one benefit. You must meet the eligibility requirements for each type of benefit.

    If you believe you are eligible to apply for multiple benefits and need further help, phone 1300 650 225.

    Next steps:

    See also:

    Last modified: 29 Jun 2018QC 27233