Show download pdf controls
  • Exemptions and rollovers



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    There may be an exemption that allows you to disregard your capital gain or capital loss. For example, generally you disregard any capital gain or capital loss associated with any pre-CGT assets (that is, those you acquired before 20 September 1985).

    There may be a rollover that allows you to defer your capital gain or capital loss. For example, if a company in which you hold shares is taken over or merges with another company, you may have a CGT obligation if you are required to dispose of your existing shares. If you exchanged your existing shares for shares in the takeover company this income year, you may be able to defer or roll over some or all of your capital gain (but not a capital loss) until a later CGT event happens to your replacement shares. This is known as scrip-for-scrip rollover. Another example of a rollover is when you transfer a CGT asset to your former spouse as a result of a court order after a marriage breakdown. In this case, you do not make a capital gain or capital loss on the transfer - your former spouse may make a capital gain or capital loss when a later CGT event happens to the asset. Rollover is also available for some demergers of corporate or trust groups.

    Selling a rental property: If you have sold a rental property, have assets from a deceased estate or have several CGT events this income year, this guide does not provide you with enough detail. You need to read the Guide to capital gains tax 2004-05 to find out how to calculate and report your CGT obligation.

    Last modified: 02 Mar 2020QC 27583