Show download pdf controls
  • More information




    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    For general tax information and to download publications and rulings, visit


    • Phone lodgment 13 28 65
      Lodge your application for refund of franking credits by phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
    • Progress of refunds 13 28 65
      Check the progress of your refund of franking credits. This is an automated self-help service available 24 hours a day, every day. You will need to key in your tax file number (TFN) using your phone keypad.

    If you sent your application by ordinary post, wait seven weeks before phoning to check on the progress of your application.

    If you lodged your application by phone, wait three weeks before phoning.

    • Individual 13 28 61
      Individual income tax and general personal tax enquiries, including:
      • refund of franking credits
      • TFN
      • whether you need to lodge a tax return
      • requests for extra copies of the application for refund of franking credits
      • whether you are an Australian resident for tax purposes.
    • Business 13 28 66
      Information about business income tax, fringe benefits tax (FBT), fuel tax credits (FTC), goods and services tax (GST), pay as you go (PAYG) and activity statements, including lodgment and payment, accounts and business registration (including Australian business number and tax file number), and dividend and royalty withholding tax.
    • Superannuation 13 10 20

    Other services

    Translating and Interpreting Service 13 14 50
    If you do not speak English well and want to talk to a tax officer, phone the Translating and interpreting service for help with your call.

    Hearing or speech impairment
    If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can phone us through the National Relay Service (NRS).

    • TTY users, phone 13 36 77 and ask for the ATO number you need. If you need to contact an ATO 1800 free call number, phone 1800 555 677 and ask for the ATO number you need.
    • Speak and Listen (speech to speech relay) users, phone 1300 555 727 and ask for the ATO number you need. If you need to contact an ATO 1800 free call number, phone 1800 555 727 and ask for the ATO number you need.
    • Internet relay users, connect to the NRS ( and ask for the ATO number you need.

    Tax Help

    Tax Help is a free and confidential service for people on low incomes. People who use Tax Help include seniors, people from non-English speaking backgrounds, people with a disability, Aboriginal people, Torres Strait Islander people, and students.

    We train and support this network of community volunteers to help you.

    If you need assistance with completing your application, there are Tax Help centres throughout Australia. If you want to visit one of the trained volunteers, you need to make an appointment first. When you visit, you will need to bring:

    • this publication Refund of franking credits instructions and application for individuals 2010, and
    • all your dividend and distribution statements.

    For more information or to find out where your nearest Tax Help centre is, phone us on 13 28 61.


    Reader feedback helps us to improve the information we provide. if you have any feedback about this publication, write to:

    The Director
    Publishing Coordination Marketing and Education
    Micro Enterprises and Individuals
    Australian Taxation Office
    PO Box 900

    As this is a publications area only, any tax matters will be passed on to a technical area. Alternatively, you can phone our Individual Infoline on 13 28 61 for help.

    Last modified: 13 Feb 2019QC 22891