Show download pdf controls
  • Claiming your refund



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    You can use this application . . . now what?

    You can apply for a refund any time after 1 July 2003, either by telephone or post. To apply for a refund, you need to fill in an application formThis link will download a file (PDF, 60KB).

    Before starting you will need all your dividend and distribution statements for the period 1 July 2002 to 30 June 2003. The section Completing your application will help.

    If lodging your application by telephone, this information may help.

    Before you start, read these frequently asked questions, and answers.

    Questions and answers

    Can I claim imputation/franking credits from previous years?

    It's not too late to claim a refund of imputation/franking credits you received in the 2001 and/or 2002 income years. If you have not already claimed these credits, ring 13 28 61-press 4 then 4 to receive an application for the years you wish to claim. You can lodge these applications by telephone or by post.

    Do I need to send my dividend or distribution statements to the ATO?

    No. Keep your statements with a copy of your application.

    The distribution statement from my managed fund shows 'capital gains', 'foreign source income' and 'foreign tax credits'. Where do I put those amounts?

    As long as you are not required to lodge a tax return you do not need to worry about these amounts. Do not worry if the statement tells you to put the figures at a specific item on the tax return. To process your application we only need to know the figures shown at franked amounts, unfranked amounts, imputation/franking credit or TFN amounts withheld. Follow these steps to fill in your worksheet and application.

    Can I use this application to claim a refund for TFN amounts withheld or deducted from interest income?

    No. You will need to lodge an income tax return to claim the TFN amounts withheld or deducted from interest income.

    I chose to reinvest my dividends-can I still claim a refund of my imputation/franking credits?


    Can I use this application if I own shares or non-share equity interests in joint names with my spouse?

    Yes, if you are eligible, you can use this application, stating only your share of the dividends and imputation/franking credits shown on the joint statement. If your partner is also eligible to claim a refund of imputation/franking credits, they must complete a separate application, stating only their share of the dividends and imputation/franking credits shown on the joint statement.

    Will the refund affect my pension entitlement?

    No. In most cases it will not affect your pension entitlement. If however you are in receipt of a distribution from a private company or trust, your pension entitlement could be affected.

    Last modified: 09 Dec 2019QC 16834