Show download pdf controls
  • Completing your application



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    The instructions that follow will take you through each part of the applicationThis link will download a file (PDF, 60KB). Start with item 1 below.

    Item 1

    Your tax file number (TFN)

    You need a TFN to lodge this application. If you have a TFN, write it on page 1 of your application. If you are not sure of your TFN or need to apply for one, ring the ATO on 13 28 61-press 3 then 1.


    You will not be able to get your TFN over the telephone. It will be posted to you.

    Item 2

    Are you an Australian resident for tax purposes?

    You must be an Australian resident for tax purposes for the whole period 1 July 2002 to 30 June 2003 to apply for a refund of imputation/franking credits.

    The standards the ATO uses to determine your residency status are not the same as those used by the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs. Generally, the ATO considers you to be an Australian resident for tax purposes if you have always lived in Australia or you have come to Australia to live permanently.

    If you need help in deciding whether or not you are an Australian resident for tax purposes, ring the ATO on 13 28 61-press 4 then 4.

    Items 3-9

    Personal details

    Please complete all these items accurately to avoid delays in processing.

    Lodging by telephone

    To lodge by telephone, the name and address details the ATO has for you must be current. If anything has changed or you are unsure what details you last gave to the ATO, you will have to contact the ATO to update or check them before you can lodge by telephone. Phone the ATO on 13 28 61 - press 4 then 2.

    Item 10

    Do you want your refund paid directly into your financial institution account?

    By using electronic funds transfer (EFT), the ATO can deposit your refund directly into the bank, credit union or building society account of your choice.

    EFT gives you quicker access to your money. Direct refund is not available on the full range of accounts. If you are unsure, check with your financial institution.

    If you would like to use EFT, print X in the YES box.

    Write the following information on your application:

    • The bank state branch (BSB) number. This is a 6-digit number that identifies the financial institution. The BSB number can be found on your account statement or cheque.
    • Your account number as shown on account records. Your account statement, cheque book or other document from your financial institution will show this information.
    • Your account name-also called account title-as shown on your account records. Quote the account name as it is shown on your account records. Include a space between each word and between any initials in your account name.


    If you printed X in the No box, a cheque will be sent to your postal address.

    Lodging by telephone:

    To lodge by telephone and use EFT, the ATO must have your current account details. To update or provide new EFT details you must notify the ATO in writing.

    If you are unsure what details are on file, phone the ATO on 13 28 61-press 4 then 2.

    Item 11


    If you received a distribution statement from a managed fund print X in the Yes box. This will help us process your application.

    Your dividend or distribution statement should show the amount of:

    • unfranked and franked dividends you received
    • imputation/franking credits
    • TFN amounts withheld or deducted (if applicable).

    Note: TFN amounts are only withheld if you did not provide your TFN to the investment body.

    To help you calculate the amounts to show at item 11 use the Worksheet.

    Last modified: 09 Dec 2019QC 16834