Registration for excise payments
How to complete the registration for excise payments form.
On this page
When to use this form
Use this form to register for excise payments if you:
- are required to make payments of excise duty, and
- do not hold (and are not applying for) an excise licence, periodic settlement permission or movement permission.
Once you have received approval for your registration, before goods can be delivered to you from a licensed entity you will need to:
- fill out an excise return
- pay the excise duty directly to us
- have received a delivery authority from us.
The application form
The Registration for excise payments form is designed to be completed on a desktop or laptop computer (not on a mobile device such as a smartphone or tablet). You'll need to use Adobe ReaderExternal Link software to view the form.
Because this is an electronic form, you can type your answers straight into the boxes provided.
Some questions will only be displayed if we need you to answer them. If you want to see all the questions before filling in the form, use the Print form with all questions button to print a copy.
How to get the form
Double-clicking the form won't open it. The form will not load on a mobile device, tablet or within a browser.
To complete the form, you must save it to your desktop computer or laptop (with the latest version of Adobe Acrobat installed) by following these steps:
- To download, right click on Registration for excise payments form (NAT 16623, PDF, 1.4MB)This link will download a file.
- Select Save target as (or a similar option depending on your internet browser) to save it to your computer.
- To open your saved form, right click on the PDF file in the folder it was saved in, select Open with then select Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
- Once you've completed your form, save it using the Save form button at the end of the form.
Note: Update your default app for PDF file types to Adobe Acrobat Reader DC to open all PDF files with Adobe Acrobat.
You, or a person who is authorised to act on your behalf (an authorised contact), must complete the declaration. If the applicant is an entity, the declaration can only be completed by a primary contact or a person authorised by a primary contact.
If you lodge this application through Online services for business, your electronic credential will be accepted as your electronic signature.
Lodging your application
Before you lodge your application form, make sure you have completed all the relevant sections.
Keep a copy of your completed application for your records and lodge the original through:
- secure mail in Online services for business
- mail to
Australian Taxation Office
PO Box 3514
ALBURY NSW 2640
Lodge through Online services for business
If you use Online services for business to lodge your application, it is more secure and will be processed faster than if you lodge by mail.
Follow these steps to lodge through secure mail in Online services for business:
- Fill in the application form
- Save the completed form as a PDF to your computer
- Log into Online services for business
- Select Communication, then Secure mail
- Create a New message
- Select View more topics from the Topic list
- Select Excise from the Other topics list
- Select Alcohol, fuel and petroleum products, tobacco, duty free store from the Subject list
- Attach your application form
- Provide your contact details and complete the declaration
- Select Send.
You will receive a receipt number once you've lodged your application.
Tracking your application progress
You can track the progress of your application in Online services for business.
Select Your dealings from the Communications menu.
You can expect a decision on your application within 28 days of us receiving all the necessary information.
If your application is incomplete, we will contact you for more information. If the information isn't provided after a reasonable period, we'll ask you to reapply when you can provide the information we need.
If you need more information, you can contact us or visit Excise on alcohol and Excise on fuel and petroleum products.
How to complete the registration for excise payments form. Last modified: 30 Nov 2022QC 16920