Show download pdf controls
  • Keeping records



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention


    You should keep records of both income and expenses relating to your rental property.

    Records of rental expenses must be in English, or be readily translatable into English, and include the:

    • name of the supplier
    • amount of the expense
    • nature of the goods or services
    • date the expense was incurred, and
    • date of the document.

    If a document does not show the payment date you can use independent evidence, such as a bank statement, to show the date the expense was incurred.

    You must keep records of your rental income and expenses for five years from 31 October or, if you lodge later, for five years from the date you lodge your tax return. If at the end of this period you are in a dispute with us that relates to your rental property, you must keep the relevant records until the dispute is resolved.

    Do not send these records in with your tax return. Keep them in case we ask to see them.

    Capital gains tax

    You must keep records relating to your ownership and all the costs of acquiring and disposing of property for five years from the date you dispose of it.

    You must keep records in English (or be readily accessible or translatable into English) that include:

    • the date you acquired the asset
    • the date you disposed of the asset and anything received in exchange
    • the parties involved, and
    • any amount that would form part of the cost base of the asset and whether you have claimed an income tax deduction for an item of expenditure.

    For more information about cost base and record keeping requirements for capital gains tax purposes, see the Guide to capital gains tax 2007.

    Last modified: 27 May 2020QC 27891