Acceptable proof of identity documents
If you are:
- 16 years old or over – you need to provide three documents, one of which must be a primary document
- under 16 years old – you need to provide two documents, one of which must be a primary document.
If a parent or guardian signs the application, or your documents are in your previous name or a language other than English, there are specific requirements you must meet – read the previous section on proof of identity requirements.
- Australian full birth certificate – a birth certificate extract is not acceptable
- Australian passport
- Australian citizenship certificate, or Extract from Register of Citizenship by Descent
- Foreign passport
- Medicare card
- Account statement from an Australian bank, credit union or building society less than one year old, with your name and your current address matching the details you provide on your application – statements printed off the internet and credit card statements are not acceptable
- Current Australian firearm licence with your signature and/or photo matching the details you provide on your application
- Current student identification card (only one – either tertiary or secondary) with your photo, issued from an Australian government accredited education authority
- One of the following cards with your photo and signature (any address on the card must match the details provided on the application)
- Australian drivers licence
- Australian learners permit
- state or territory government issued proof of age card
- state or territory government issued photo card
If you are under 16 years old, secondary documents can include one of the following, which must be less than one year old and issued by an Australian government accredited education authority:
- secondary school examination certificate
- record of achievement
- examination report.
Must be provided if there is a:
- change of name
- parent/guardian or legally appointed custodian signing on behalf of the applicant.
Proof of identity documents
- Change of name by deed poll
- Change of name document
- Marriage certificate
- Australian full birth certificate
- Medicare card
- Foreign birth certificate
- Doctor’s letter#
- Letter of authority*
- Power of attorney*
- Proof of parentage/guardianship documents*
# If the applicant is 16 or 17 years old and unable to sign their application, the parent or guardian signing the application on their behalf needs to provide a signed statement from a doctor explaining the circumstances.
* If the applicant is over 18 years old and unable to sign their application, the parent or guardian signing the application on their behalf needs to provide one of these linking documents.
Lodging your application
Keep a copy of your application for your records.
Send the original application and certified copies of your identity documents to us at:
Australian Taxation Office
PO Box 9942
MOONEE PONDS VIC 3039
Or, you can visit your nearest:
- ATO shopfront – phone 13 28 61 between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday, to make an appointment. You must provide original identity documents with your application.
- Centrelink Service Centre – if you are applying for a government benefit or pension. You must provide original identity documents with your application.
If you have lost your TFN or are not sure you have one, check all your correspondence from us or contact your registered tax agent.
If you still cannot find your TFN or would like to update your details, phone 13 28 61 between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday. If you phone us, we need to know we are talking to the correct person before discussing your tax affairs. We will ask you for details that only you, or someone you’ve authorised, would know. An authorised contact (nominated representative) is someone who you have previously told us can act on your behalf.
You can find out more about:
For more information about TFNs, phone 13 28 61 between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday.
If you do not speak English well and need help from the ATO, phone the Translating and Interpreting Service on 13 14 50. If you are calling from overseas, phone +61 3 9203 4027.
If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, phone the ATO through the National Relay Service (NRS) on the numbers listed below:
Individuals who are Australian residents for tax purposes but ineligible or unable to apply for a tax file number (TFN) online can apply for a TFN on a paper form.Last modified: 05 Nov 2015QC 27134
- TTY users – phone 13 36 77 and ask for the ATO number you need (if you are calling from overseas, phone +61 7 3815 7799)
- Speak and Listen (speech-to-speech relay) users – phone 1300 555 727 and ask for the ATO number you need (if you are calling from overseas, phone +61 7 3815 8000)
- Internet relay users – connect to the NRS on relayservice.External LinkgovExternal Link.auExternal Link and ask for the ATO number you need.