Show download pdf controls
  • 55 Royalty expenses overseas



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    Show at R the royalty expenses paid to non-residents during the income year.

    Include this amount at J item 5, plus or minus any reconciliation adjustment for royalty expenses that you included in B Expense reconciliation adjustments item 5.

    An amount of tax (withholding tax) is generally withheld from royalties paid or payable to non-residents and from royalties derived by a resident through an overseas branch. You must remit this amount to the ATO. You cannot claim a deduction unless you have remitted any withholding tax to the Commissioner. If you have withheld amounts from payments to non-residents, you may need to lodge a PAYG withholding from interest, dividends and royalty payments paid to non-residents - annual report by 31 October 2012.

    Record keeping

    Keep a record of the following:

    • name and address of recipient(s)
    • amounts paid
    • nature of the benefit derived - for example, a copy of the royalty agreement
    • details of tax withheld where applicable, and the date on which it was remitted to the ATO.
    Last modified: 12 Feb 2019QC 28037