Supporting document requirements for private rulings
This page lists the documents and information we need to process private rulings about the subject displayed.
Cash or accruals basis
- Your current GST turnover for the past 12 months, including this month.
- Your projected GST turnover for the next 12 months, including this month.
- Whether you account for income tax purposes using the receipts method.
- Whether you are an endorsed charitable institution, endorsed trustee of a charitable fund, gift deductible entity or a government school.
If you are a small business with an annual turnover (including the turnover of your related entities) of more than $2 million, or you are not operating a business, but are carrying on an enterprise with a GST turnover of $2 million or more, and your answer to both of the last two dot points above is 'No', you will need to ask the Commissioner for permission to account for GST on a cash basis. You will need to provide the following information:
- details on the nature and size of your business, and
- the nature of the accounting system you use.
Goods and services tax (GST) ruling GSTR 2000/13 provides more information on choosing to account on a cash basis and outlines the factors the Commissioner will consider in determining whether it is appropriate for you to account for GST on a cash basis.