• Residency - leaving Australia

    Private rulings and objections

    This page lists the documents and information we usually need to process private rulings and objections.

    Please send the following documents and information with your:

    Disregard the documents and information on this page that you have previously provided.

    Supporting document requirements

    • What country are you a citizen of? If more than one, which countries?
    • Have you been granted permanent residency by any country? If so, which country and when was it granted?
    • What is your country of origin? This is the country you were born in or the country of nationality you acquired at birth
    • Where were you living on a permanent basis prior to your departure? Provide details
    • What date did you depart Australia?
    • What was your destination overseas? If more than one country, provide details
    • What type of visa did you have to enter the overseas country?
    • Does the visa allow you to stay permanently?
    • What is the purpose of your overseas visit?
    • What are your residency intentions (for example, do you intend to reside overseas permanently)?
    • When did you form the intention to make your home indefinitely outside Australia?
    • When do you plan to return to Australia?
    • Do you hold a return airline ticket? If yes, provide a copy
    • Have you come back to Australia for any period since first leaving Australia? If yes, tell us
      • the dates of your arrival in and departure from Australia
      • an explanation of the purpose of the visit
      • copies of passport showing entry and exit stamps
    • Do you have a place to live overseas? Provide details of where you are or have been living, and whether you are staying with relatives or friends, are renting or have purchased a home. Also, provide exact street address and evidence of residency with your name and address on it (for example, a lease agreement)
    • Has your overseas employer provided you with accommodation? If so, provide details (for example, details about sharing, sole use, conditions of use, location)
    • What assets do you have overseas (for example, investments, motor vehicle, household effects, property, or bank accounts)? Provide details of assets held
    • Where did you live in Australia prior to leaving (for example, were you renting, staying with relatives or friends, or did you own a home)?
    • Do you have a place to live in Australia? If so, is this being rented out while you are residing overseas?
    • Do you have any assets in Australia (for example, investments, motor vehicle, household effects, property, or bank accounts)? Provide details of assets held
    • What did you do with your household effects in Australia?
    • Are you receiving income from Australian sources? If yes, provide details
    • Did/do you have employment overseas? If yes
      • What was the employer's name?
      • How long was the employment for?
      • Could the employment be extended and, if yes, for how long?
      • Provide a copy of your employment contracts, if any
    • Do you still have a position or job being held for you in Australia? If so, provide details (including leave without pay)
    • Did your family (children, spouse, partner) accompany you overseas? If yes, tell us
      • Which family members went with you?
      • What are their ages?
      • Where were they living while you were/are overseas?
    • If your family has not accompanied you overseas, explain why
    • What social and sporting connections do you have with Australia? Provide details
    • What social and sporting connections do you have with the country where you are living? Provide details
    • Were you or your spouse a Commonwealth Government of Australia employee for superannuation (super) purposes? If yes, provide the following details
      • the dates of the employment periods
      • the type of employment
      • the name of the super funds you and/or your spouse were a member of
    • Do you or your spouse still hold a position with the Commonwealth Government of Australia and, therefore, remain eligible to contribute to the super fund?
    • Have you advised the Australian Electoral Office to have your name removed from the electoral roll?
    • Have you advised any Australian financial institutions with whom you have investments that you are a foreign resident so that non-resident withholding tax can be deducted?
    • Have you advised any Australian companies with whom you have investments that you are a foreign resident?
    • Have you advised Medicare or health insurance provider to have your name removed from their records?
    • Have you lodged tax returns in any other countries? Provide details and copies of assessments of tax
    • What did you state as the reason for going overseas when completing the Australian Immigration Outgoing passenger card?
    • Did you have a capital gains tax event I1 to your assets because you ceased to be an Australian resident when leaving Australia?

    More information

      Last modified: 04 Feb 2013QC 19064