Show download pdf controls
  • Lodging your tax return

    There are a few ways you can lodge a tax return:

    Most people need to lodge their tax return by 31 October. If you don’t lodge on time, you may have to pay a penalty. If you're having issues lodging your tax return, phone the Indigenous helpline on 13 10 30.

    Lodge online

    Lodging online with myTax is easy and fast. Some information is already filled in for you. You get your refund faster too. To lodge using myTax, you need to create a myGov account and link it to the ATO.

    See also:

    Get help from our Tax Help volunteers

    At tax time, there's free tax help for people on low incomes. Our Tax Help volunteers are available in many community centres from July to October each year. If you earn around $60,000 or less, they can help you do your tax return.

    Phone the Indigenous helpline on 13 10 30 to find out more.

    See also:

    Complete a paper tax return

    You can complete the paper tax return (Tax return for individuals) and lodge it by mail. Most refunds are issued within 50 business days.

    Phone the Indigenous helpline on 13 10 30 to get a form and the instructions.

    See also:

    Lodge with a tax agent

    You can use a registered tax agent to prepare and lodge your tax return. Registered tax agents are the only people who can charge you for doing your tax return.

    See also:

    Help from family or friends

    You can ask a family member or friend to help you with your tax return. They cannot charge you a fee – only registered tax agents can charge for preparing tax returns.

    If someone helps you, you must sign the tax return yourself as you are responsible for the information in it.

    Last modified: 14 Nov 2019QC 39594