Show download pdf controls
  • Keeping records of shares and units

    Make sure you keep detailed records of all share and unit transactions, not only for CGT purposes but also to meet your other income tax obligations.

    Having complete records of your transactions, including dividend payments, will also help ensure you don’t pay more tax than you should.

    Most of the records you need to work out your CGT when you dispose of shares in companies or units in unit trusts (including managed funds) will be given to you by the company, the unit trust manager or your stockbroker.

    Such records will generally include:

    • the date of purchase
    • the purchase amount
    • details of any non-assessable payments to you
    • the date and amount of any calls (if shares were partly paid)
    • the sale price (if you sell them)
    • any commissions paid to brokers when you buy or sell
    • details of events such as share splits, share consolidations, returns of capital, takeovers, mergers, demergers and bonus share issues.

    As you may have purchased parcels of shares in the same company at different times, you need to keep full details for each parcel as they are separate CGT assets.

    Special CGT rules affect the records you need to keep for some types of shares and units, including bonus shares and units, rights and options, and employee shares.

    For any bonus shares issued before 1 July 1987, you need to know when the original shares were acquired. If you've acquired them since 20 September 1985, you'll also need to know what they cost.

    See also:

    Last modified: 17 Jul 2017QC 22175