Show download pdf controls
  • 2 July 2018

    The SuperStream Reference Group meeting was held on Monday 2 July 2018 via telepresence.

    A summary of topics discussed is provided below.

    Welcome

    • James O’Halloran opened the meeting and thanked members for their attendance. He confirmed apologies from Hans van Daatselaar, David Haynes, Mike Denniss and Philip George and noted Lex Dransfield attending for Philip.
    • James opened up to members to provide any insights since the last meeting, these included:      
      • the Royal Commission is a big focus for a lot of businesses, the timeline and effort is enormous and will continue on for a while
      • some positive progress on the implementation of MAAS & MATS but note there are still a few questions
      • watching the implementation of both STP and MAAS/MATS in regards to the impact on the ATO IT capacity
      • residual irritants and intermittent issues with ATO services that need to be worked through
      • competing issues for attention in the gateway community between SBSCH, STP, ATO’s Operational framework implementation and the need for a consistent approach and appropriate governance arrangements are in place
      • curiosity in regards the 10-15 percent drop (January to the April quarter) in payments through the SBSCH channels payments and whether these payments are being made through other channels
      • in terms of the current situation, James confirmed that the ATO is conscious of what is on people’s plates and the need to stay in touch with no wide variation of plans.

    Acceptance of SSRG minutes and review of action items

    • James confirmed the minutes from the 6 April 2017 meeting, noting no further feedback was received and the minutes are now being published on ato.gov.au
    • Action item 06.04.2018.02 will be covered off under agenda item 5.

    Industry Engagement Forum recap

    • Jason Lucchese noted a notable shift in forum focus, a move away from SuperStream focus to a broader Superannuation event with focus across a range of topics.
    • The Superannuation Industry Engagement Forum recording and talkbook will be available in the coming week.
    • Feedback received on the day was that it was a successful event; specific feedback is also being sought from participants.

    Reporting to Government transformation: MAAS and MATS implementation, onboarding and learnings

    • Jason Lucchese noted that nine funds are onboard for Member Account Attribute Service (MAAS). We recognise there are over 90 percent of funds still to onboard to MAAS with a large orchestration process ahead and while the ATO can be ready, there are many links in the chain that need to be ready, gateways, DSPs, trustees etc. all need to be right and tested.
    • Annette Thurbon noted MAAS has been in production for two months and is operating according to design and to date it has been a positive experience working closely with the fund onboarding teams. The ATO’s Readiness & Implementation team has been in touch with all funds regarding their onboarding plan and will touch base again six to eight weeks out to confirm cut over date and size of transactions. The lessons learnt from the first round of onboarding has been useful and we will maintain a learning pack ensuring these lessons are captured.
    • Jason confirmed that System performance is positive with throughput of 40,000 MAAS records an hour. A range of improvements are coming on before the peak onboarding for MAAS. He also confirmed that the Member Account Transaction Service (MATS) production code was deployed in late June.
    • While early progress to onboard for MAAS is positive, this has involved a very low volume of data. The industry retains a high degree of concern about the risks of poor performance once volumes grow.
    • Members thought the weekly status updates on MAAS/MATS were useful. Emma Dobson also suggested more time spent on the risks.
    • In regards to a concern regarding delays in conformance testing being undertaken by the underlying provider that is over and beyond what is needed for MAAS/MATS (eg scenario 4).
    • Annette clarified that there are two parts to testing, SBR conformance testing which is around MAAS functionality and broader SBR functionality testing across the SBR services. The issue raised is related to the broader SBR functionality testing.
    • Mick Rowell advised from the ATO’s perspective the scheduling and onboarding engagement is appropriate and overlaying that with what we are seeing versus what we have tested it is lining up well. However he acknowledged that if funds have a different experience the ATO will look at these issues case by case and include all the right people in the conversation.
    • Tracie Crowden outlined the remaining work in relation to MAAS/MATS which is largely in relation to support those who aren’t SBR enabled. This will be a business online portal available for small volume transactions (for those such as Defined Benefit and registry systems). It will be a replica of MAAS and MATS and initially it will be a manual solution and we anticipate that we will build on this over time and be available in 2019.
    • Graham Sammells queried what the ATO is doing with the MAAS data once received. Jason advised that the information circulates back into core processing and reconciliation. In terms of MATS, there is a further design piece around display of data. James added that it is important that funds and the ATO compliment and don’t contradict each other in terms of displaying SG payments. This is a body of work that will commence once we have consulted with the majority of funds.
    • Sacha Vidler raised that APRA has it owns project around data collections and replacement for D2A (Project Athena). The group is heading towards consultation with industry (software providers and other stakeholders) and there is a delegation coming to the ATO to talk to the Deputy Commissioner Smarter Data, and it would be beneficial for Super to be connected in.

    Improving SBR2 platforms and Operational Framework

    • Mick Rowell outlined the work being done on Improving SBR2 platform, consistent with the recent Superannuation Industry Engagement Forum presentation from Matt Hay. The following points were noted:      
      • there has been a concerted effort to demonstrate words follow substance and actions in regards to the platform performance and availability as we anticipate increased volumes
      • already seeing the increase in volumes in 2018 at around 500,000 compared to a peak volume of 200,000 transactions in 2017
      • for SuperTICK while we have seen increased volumes we are also seeing a shift to a faster response time due as a result of some of the improvements we are making
      • in regards to the SBR2 to Gold program there are two phases being worked through, pre and post July. The first thing that was done in July 2017 was to stand up our eCommerce instance in the cloud, so we have PROD 1 and PROD 2. The next phase is how we re-architect to ensure that we are able to handle bigger loads. Graham thought it was would be useful to see phase 2 of SRB2 to Gold in a high level roadmap.
    • Mick also confirmed that the regulatory environments the ATO is held to the same standards as Government. This includes hosting in Australian data centres with ISO certification, IWRP certification and pushed through Operational Framework. Currently we are working with a single provider but we will look at multiple providers.
    • Ty Winmill advised that the DSP Operational Framework project team continue to consult within industry to define what falls in-scope for the framework in relation to SuperStream. Initially it will cover the ATO enabling services that support SuperStream. Some initial industry feedback from indicates some aspects of the Operational Framework will take considerable time and cost to implement throughout the network subject to confirmation of what is in scope (Multi-factor authentication for example). While the DSP Operational Framework implementation timeframe is yet to be defined the initial framework requirements for SuperStream have been met by the Superannuation industry.

    SuperStream rollovers version 3 (including SMSFs)

    • Jason introduced the SuperStream rollovers version 3 (including SMSFs) project that has commenced off the back of the Minister’s announcement. This has a committed implementation date of late 2019.
    • An ATO & Industry group came together on 26 June to identify the opportunities for bringing in SMSFs and other opportunities while opening up of the message. Tracie outlined some of the points discussed by the group:      
      • subject to time, effort and costs we should consider correcting some irritants that sit inside version 2, while the SSTC did a lot in fixing issues with guidance and we can now make some of those corrections in the system. Also consider digitising all release authorities
      • there would need to be mandatory implementation for SMSF to ensure the build and an SMFS Validation Service (SVS). Without the SVS it would be almost impossible to operationalise and while a risky component we need to have a mechanism in place that is robust and can be relied upon
      • there will be a range of communication, engagement and deployment strategies needed. Early indications are within the SMSF sector we believe 50 percent are ready to deploy, for 40 percent it comes at a cost and a tail of 10 percent are really not enabled at all.
    • An industry consultation group has been established for the 2018 Budget Super Measures and they will commence meeting in late July. Jason Lucchese will be the key ATO contact for this group.

    Digital Identity Program

    • George Afarian from Digital Communication & Identity Services spoke to a presentation on the Digital Identity Program which is the Digital Transformation Agency’s program Govpass. It is about delivering services to make it easier for the public to interact with Government.
    • The two core components the ATO is delivering are myGovID which is a way to prove who you are by establishing your identity once and using your myGovID credential to access government services online and Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM) which is a way to manage your authorisations across government services (initially for business authorisations). There are no legislative barriers in relation to this work. The ATO is working with privacy impact assessors but it is all within legal boundaries.
    • This work is assisting in managing the AUSkey transition which will be decommissioned in March 2020. Existing AUSkey users will need to transition across to myGovID and RAM.
    • There is a private BETA group scheduled for online TFN applications in August 2018 and we need to start transitioning people away from AUSkey around September/October. For SuperStream one of the key things is the machine credential replacement, working with Digital Service Providers and engaging around the design, you will start to see this more in 2019. There is testing with user cohorts being undertaken now.
    • George confirmed that where an organisation is not using a machine to machine credential, they need to do their individual digital identity confirmation before they can transition onto the RAM model for personal authorisation. You would establish your identity and the authorisation will let you into the services. Business Continuity Planning Simulation - Operation Melbourne
    • Industry members expressed concern that the proposed timeframe to transition off AUSkey by March 2020 is too short, and that this transition is likely to be complicated across the many involved stakeholders (Employers, Funds, Administrators, Gateways, etc).
    • James noted the Business Continuity Planning Simulation paper and key point being the nomination process to operationalise the Superannuation Response Group arrangements. We have written out to groups to ensure the right membership and will confirm representatives in the coming month.
    • There are some improvements we can make to the way we paint the scenario for the next simulation exercise and also consider an effective number of participants.

    GNGB update

    • Sarah O’Brien provided an update to members on the GNGB. At the last SSRG it was noted that a gateway was on probation and working through some missing materials, this has been resolved and the conditions to be met were provided. The GNGB is working with the gateway in regards to information security requirements aspects and moving into audits for 2018 which are due 31 December.
    • A great deal of time is being spent on the relationship between the GNGB requirements and the Operational Framework. The process and requirements aren’t currently aligned so there is a lot of work the gateways are doing to meet the Operational Framework requirements and then going through a separate process to review the GNGB requirements. This has raised costs and complexity.
    • Australian Signal Directorate is doing work to align so their strategies and there is the draft APRA CPS 234 on data security requirements. So there are four environmental aspects the GNGB is working through to ensure the GNGB requirements provide a good platform for the gateways and align with the other requirements out there.
    • There is a grey area for the Operational Framework for what extent they need to comply. There needs to be clarity on where the boundaries are and how far does the encryption requirement go.
    • Another piece of work the GNGB is looking at is the process of onboarding a new gateway operator. This is the first time the GNGB has onboarded a gateway. The GNGB developed a framework in conjunction with ATO around testing requirements. The first round of testing has been completed and following testing with the ATO they should be ready to operate next month.
    • In relation to the process in addressing questions and concerns around the security audit and approach, it has not so much been concern but more that funds are seeking guidance on where they get comfort on security. For example a fund will ask for a bit of paper that says my gateway has passed everything and is ready to operate. GNGB is not set up to hand over a paper accreditation and funds need to ask their provider for this.

    Action item update

    Action item

    06.04.2018-1

    Due date

    Tuesday 18 September 2018

    Responsibility

    Ty Winmill, Director, SuperStream Delivery

    Bring New Payment Platform guidance and approach to September SSRG

     

    Action item

    02.07.2018-1

    Due date

    Tuesday 18 September 2018

    Responsibility

    ATO

    ATO to regroup out of session with Westpac/QValent to remediate any issues regarding their conformance testing

     

    Action item

    02.07.2018-2

    Due date

    Tuesday 18 September 2018

    Responsibility

     

    Add the machine credential - replacement of AUSkey onto the Superannuation Roadmap

    Attendees

    Organisation and role

    Members

    General Manager - Link Group

    Graham Sammells

    Associate Director, Workplace Relations - ACCI

    Dick Grozier

    Director, Global Transaction Services - Westpac

    Emma Dobson

    Head of Customer Service - SunSuper

    Trevor Govender

    Group General Manager, Corporate Development - IOOF

    Julie Orr

    Manager, Member Reporting - CSC

    Lex Dransfield

    Superannuation Specialist, Industry & Technical Services - APRA

    Sacha Vidler

    Executive Officer - Gateway Network Governance Body

    Sarah O’Brien

    Assistant Commissioner, SuperStream Delivery - ATO

    Jason Lucchese

    Additional attendees

    Assistant Commissioner, Digital Wholesale Services - ATO

    Michael Rowell

    Digital Communication & Identity Services - ATO

    George Afarian

    Director, Readiness Implementation - ATO

    Annette Thurbon

    Director, Reporting to Government Design - ATO

    Tracie Crowden

    Director, Data Standards and Service Unit - ATO

    Ty Winmill

    Director, SuperStream Governance - ATO

    Sheridan Harvey

    Apologies

    Organisation

    Members

    Executive Manager, Policy and Research - AIST

    David Haynes

    Executive Officer - ASFA

    Hans van Daatselaar

    Principal Business Analyst - Class

    Mike Denniss

    General Manager, Scheme Administration - CSC

    Philip George

    Deputy Commissioner, Enterprise Capabilities - ATO

    Matt Hay

      Last modified: 14 May 2019QC 55493