Show download pdf controls
  • 28 November 2018

    Welcome

    • James O’Halloran opened the meeting noting apologies from Dick Grozier and Trevor Govender.
    • The previous minutes from the 28 November 2018 meeting were accepted.
    • The status of current open action items was noted with updates to be provided at the relevant agenda items.

    SuperStream payments using the New Payments Platform (NPP)

    • In reference to action item 18.09.2018-1 – the letter to the NPPA to seek agreement to participate in a round table discussion involving representatives from the ATO, NPPA and the Super Industry, issued 28 November 2018. It was noted that while some conversations have occurred with the NPPA, the ATO sought input from members to help frame what the conversation with the NPPA should be to ensure a tangible discussion.
    • James O’Halloran noted the good ground work that has been done to date to recognise the interactions of the NPP and SuperStream data and payment standard and the need to find ways to continue meaningful engagement.
    • Ty Winmill provided an update on the progress of discussions with the NPPA to better understand what the channel looks like and the usage of the service across industry noting the channel is still in its infancy therefore take-up is currently minimal.
    • NPPA have developed a draft guidance to ensure that items such as the PRN are honoured when the NPP becomes a valid channel in the SuperStream standard.
    • Further discussion and agreement is required on the transition plan while more detailed conversations can progress on the technical aspects of the messaging standard and understanding what other opportunities are available.
    • It was noted there may be issues with NPPA’s capacity to meet the delivery timeline and the current focus is from the consumer perspective, however early indications are that the NPPA are anticipating a higher adoption rate early in 2019. This among other identified issues is something that can potentially be addressed with industry coming together to form the working group and reaffirms the need for the round table conversations.
    • A number of initial topics have been identified in anticipation for the round table discussions, particularly around the current experience, industry segmentation, detailed questions regarding member and user receiving and sending payments.

    Action Item:

    28.11.2018-1

    Due date:

    30 November 2018

    Responsibility:

    ATO

    ATO to provide members with a copy of the co-signed letter issued to the NPPA seeking their agreement to meet for a round table discussion to better understand the infrastructure and messaging protocol of the NPP.

    Secretariat note: Copy of the letter was provided to SSRG members on 3 December 2018

    Action Item:

    28.11.2018-2

    Due date:

    30 November 2018

    Responsibility:

    ATO

    Members we invited to provide feedback and suggestions back to the ATO by 18 January 2019.

    Secretariat note: a copy of the proposed discussion points was provided to SSRG members on 3 December 2018

    • James O’Halloran provided context on where work with the NPP has landed and opened up the conversation to seek members’ views on what it means for our current data and payment standard moving forward.
    • Members noted there has been some positive progress made however there is a need to see more active engagement, ensuring a broad and accurate representation of key industry stakeholders involved in furthering conversations and in managing the practical issues.
    • It was also noted the importance of maintaining visibility from an ATO perspective and that it’s not only about the technical solution but management of the governance required in parallel to the technical elements, to assure the obligations, information security requirements to support the solution.

    ATO’s Digital Delivery

    • Claire Miller provided members with an update on the ATO’s Digital Identity program and the progress made to date regarding the machine-to-machine AUSkey transition work.
    • The working group has continued to progress the development of the machine-to-machine AUSkey replacement and the completion of the business requirements and architecture.
    • The ATO continues to work with the DTA as part of the Govpass program. Recognising the AUSkey transition timeframe, the ATO has established a build team to flesh out the requirements and the high architecture that were developed in consultation with software providers. Work continues to track towards a March 2020 date for the AUSkey transition.
    • The ATO has sought expressions of interest from the DSP’s to convene a working group with the expressions of interest due by 29 November 2018.
    • The purpose of the working group is to progress the replacement solution and embed the build. The anticipated timeframe is for an April 2019 release into the EVTE environment to provide early visibility in the development of the solution and access through EVTE. April 2019 to March 2020 will include additional services such as the operational framework impacts for end to end encryption and supply chain visibility.
    • The ATO continues to work with the DTA on development of the Business Case and timing of the AUSkey transition into the Govpass program. There has been broad engagement across the AUSKey relying agency regarding what the onboarding to Govpass will look like.

    Secretariat note: a copy of the Digital Identity high level design was provided to SSRG members on 9 October 2018

    • Mick Rowell provided a presentation highlighting the work being done around the SBR2 platform. Key messages included:  
      • The SBR2 to Gold Program aims to improve the performance, availability and resilience of the ATO’s ecommerce platform which is the channel by which all of the ATO’s transactions, pay events and PLS services operating through the ATO to be registered through the back-end systems.
      • The ATO has provisioned a second eCommerce instance in the cloud and working with the various DSP’s, gateways and funds around the transitional arrangements.
      • Continuing to deliver outcomes, particularly the incremental updates across the channel through the SRB2 to Gold Program as part of the Q3.5 release to ensure the main drivers of the program being availability, performance and resilience are achieved.
      • The architecting for resilience is a broad piece of working looking end-to-end across all services, particularly how to target the next level of change which is larger than just the architecture or channel to ensure availability, scalability performance and resilience across the ATO ecosystem and ensuring systems are fit for purpose.
      • There are a number of service level standards in place with Superannuation services identified in the high service level target of 99.95%.
      • One of the key focus areas on the architecting for resilience work is to ensure minimal impact across the ATO ecosystem, ensure a seamless process and maintain backwards compatibility.
      • Members noted the importance of having a communication strategy in place to support this significant piece work and a focus on improving the stability of the testing environment is paramount.
      • The ATO noted the effort that has gone into improving and ensuring the sustainability of the production environment and the importance of ensuring a clear statement of the testing environment going forward.
    • With regard to progress on the Operational Framework, the ATO noted the value in having the one-on-one discussion to look at how the framework was positioned within the superannuation industry. This information has been presented back to industry; however no show stoppers have been identified.
    • In response to the document that is currently out for consultation, ASP Services gave thanks to the ATO for facilitating the one-on-one conversations and achieving better clarity regarding the roles and responsibilities.
    • Members noted another communication piece directed to trustees will be important prior to Christmas advising of the updated requirements and transition timeline noting the initial letter issued was focused on the transitional arrangements.
    • In summary, members agreed that the Operational Framework is a necessary and logical structure.
    • The ATO noted a letter has been drafted to issue to trustees advising the ATO’s position to moving to cloud services. It is anticipated the letter will issue to all trustees in the coming weeks.

    Secretariat note: The ATO issued an email to Trustees on 5 December 2018 advising of the ATO’s decision to transition all Standard Business Reporting (SBR) and SuperStream transactions to our cloud SBR.

    Reporting to Government Transformation

    • Annette Thurbon provided an update on the MAAS and MATS implementation noting a lot of progress has been made since the last SSRG meeting. Key messages included:  
      • As of 31 October, 217 funds have on boarded to MAAS (covering 99% member accounts) and are operating in business as usual.
      • The collaborative efforts of the ATO and industry resulting in the successful implementation of the MAAS service were noted.
      • The ATO is working with the 47 funds that have been granted an extension of time to implement MAAS and deferral of their reporting obligations. 30 of these funds are expected to onboard by end of December.
      • Many of the 47 funds delay in onboarding is a result of issues they have encountered with their product and required remediation and rescheduling of their production deployment.
      • 17 funds are waiting delivery of the online portal solution. Meetings have been arranged with these funds to work through their onboarding plan. An extension has been granted for these funds until the end of December 2018.
      • In regards to MATS, as at 16 November five funds have completed their MATS onboarding.
      • The ATO has provided the remaining funds with their implementation plans to assist with onboarding orchestration between November 2018 and March 2019.
      • There were a number of learnings identified from the MAAS onboarding which are being applied to MATS onboarding. The hyper care arrangements during MAAS onboarding was a successful strategy and will put in place for MATS deployment.
      • Enhancements to the SBR platform were deployed as part of the November release. The ATO is comfortable with system performance during the MAAS onboarding and the plan to support increased capacity into 2019.
      • The ATO has been working closely with industry to understand what the forecast is for batch volumes from both a back reporting and a BAU perspective to assist with baselining processing volumes.
      • The ATO reminded funds of the transitional arrangements in place and the strong need to meet the MATS conformance date of April 2019.
    • Members queried future dashboard enhancements. The original intent was to include plotting graphs to show MAAS and MATS transactions however this has been put on hold indefinitely due to competing priorities. In the absence of these features, the ATO will take advantage of the announcement component of the dashboard that will be the mechanism to advise industry of any impacts to services, including MAAS and MATS.
    • APRA indicated they would be happy to contribute to any messaging to industry as required with regard to meeting the MATS conformance date.
    • The ATO confirmed that there is nothing from a legislative perspective that would be an inhibitor to the implementation of MAAS and MATS.
    • Members congratulated the ATO for the successful delivery of the MAAS services and specifically gave their thanks the onboarding team for their efforts.
    • Tracie Crowden provided members with an update on the alternate reporting solution for MAAS and MATS. Key messages included:  
      • The portal is being deployed in three phases:  
        • The first phase is in operation to receive Downsizer contributions.
        • The second phase will be deployed in December 2018 which will provide a full view of MAAS and MATS however at this stage won’t allow for any error messaging or return TFN validation work.
        • The March 2019 deployment (enduring solution) will be the full complement of the solution. The enduring solution has gone through rigorous design work and user testing.
    • The ATO reiterated the solution is designed for low volume, single use transactions and not for bulk data loads and there is no consideration at this stage to enhance the portal service functionality.
    • Tracie Crowden provided members with an update on the extension of SuperStream rollovers to SMSFs. Key messages included:  
      • The message implementation guide (MIG) is on target to be delivered by the end of the calendar year.
      • The MIG will include changes that are required across the standard to bring the SMSF in to scope
      • The work for the required SMSF verification service (SVS) is highly complex to allow for TFN validation and the (SVS) to verify information held by the ATO with information provided on the message to enable a rollover.
    • Members raised concerns around ensuring sufficient fraud prevention mechanisms are in place. The ATO noted the plan to put more rigor around the registration process and strengthening the relationship between the bank account and the SMSF member.
    • The design has ensured the majority of transactions will be done through a service provider which will need to be authorised through an AUSKey.
    • It was noted further work needs to be done to better inform when there is a fraud occurrence in the system and have clearer remediation action. It was also noted this is a broader issue than just with the SMSF rollovers.
    • The ATO noted from a cyber fraud perspective the ATO has a mature line of defense framework in place across all system applications and levels which include initiatives such as a cyber security operations center. If any concerns are identified at the transaction monitoring level, the intelligence is fed back through to the cyber operations center in real time.
    • While there are continued improvements made to the cyber fraud capability within the ATO, it was agreed that it is a broader issue among industry and the ATO to collectively, as a central cooperative exchange of information, to address and communicate the approach for managing fraud activity.
    • Members agreed that using the SMSF rollovers into SuperStream design is a good opportunity to baseline what the intelligence process is as well as understanding what the attempted fraud scenarios are to support the detection and treatment of fraud activity.
    • It was noted that a formal ATO position has been reached on the capacity to extend the rollover message to include release authorities. At this point in time there is no capacity to include this on the forward program of work in the short term.
    • Industry members raised concerns about the timeframe to implement the SMSF rollover changes given the high risk profile of the service. The ATO confirmed the legislative requirement states that SMSF rollovers commence on or after 30 November 2019.

    Action Item:

    28.11.2018-3

    Due date:

    February 2019

    Responsibility:

    ATO

     

    • Sarah O’Brien noted the paper provided to provide members with an update on the GNGB program of work noting the information security requirements has been an extensive piece of work with the 2018 and 2019 requirements finalised.
    • James O’Halloran noted the SuperStream Department of Finance Gateway review is currently underway from 28 to 30 November with the final report to be handed over to the ATO on Friday 30 November.
    • The final SuperStream Gateway review also represents the opportunity to review current governance and engagement arrangements that extend beyond SuperStream.
    • It is proposed that the March 2019 SSRG meeting be the final in its current format.
    • The ATO will work with industry in the new year to collect the views from members regarding reframing the services to industry including reviewing the superannuation sub-group meetings and their relevance and determine what, if any ongoing working groups need to be formed.
    • It was confirmed that while the Superannuation Industry Stewardship Group will be considered as part of the review, the ATO has strong views on the appropriateness of stewardship groups and unlikely to be impacted as part of this review.
    • Tabled papers were taken as read.

    Attendees

    Organisation and role

    Members

    Deputy Commissioner, Superannuation - ATO

    James O’Halloran

    (Co-chair)

    General Manager - Link Group

    Graham Sammells

    (Co-chair)

    Executive Manager, Policy and Research - AIST

    David Haynes

    Director, Global Transaction Services - Westpac

    Emma Dobson

    Executive Officer - ASFA

    Hans van Daatselaar

    Group General Manager, Corporate Development - IOOF

    Julie Orr

    Principal Business Analyst - Class

    Mike Denniss

    General Manager, Scheme Administration - CSC

    Philip George

    Superannuation Specialist, Industry & Technical Services - APRA

    Sacha Vidler

    Executive Officer - Gateway Network Governance Body

    Sarah O’Brien

    Principal Business Analyst - Class

    Mike Denniss

    Deputy Commissioner, Enterprise Capabilities - ATO

    Matt Hay

    Assistant Commissioner, SuperStream Delivery - ATO

    Jason Lucchese

    Additional attendees

    Director, Readiness Implementation - ATO

    Annette Thurbon

    Director, Reporting to Government Design - ATO

    Tracie Crowden

    Director, Data Standards and Service Unit - ATO

    Ty Winmill

    Director, SuperStream Governance - ATO

    Sheridan Harvey

    Assistant Commissioner, Digital Delivery - ATO

    Michael Rowell

    Director, Digital Delivery - ATO

    Claire Miller

    Apologies

    Organisation and Role

    Members

    Associate Director, Workplace Relations - ACCI

    Dick Grozier

    Head of Customer Service - SunSuper

    Trevor Govender

    Director, Digital Partnership Office - ATO

    Martin Mane

      Last modified: 14 May 2019QC 55493