How we process your voluntary disclosure

We process your voluntary disclosure in the same way as we process the tax return or statement it relates to. If we need more information, we will contact you or your representative.

Once we have processed your information, we will issue an assessment or other notice that tells you how much tax or overpaid credits and benefits you owe, any penalties and interest charges we have imposed and the date your payment is due (to avoid being charged further interest for late payment, if this is applicable).

If you make a voluntary disclosure by revising an earlier activity statement, we won't issue a notice of amended assessment if we accept your amendment in full. If we don't, we will issue a notice.

Request reduced interest charges or penalties

You can ask us to reduce any interest charges and penalties that arise from your voluntary disclosure.

Disagree with an assessment

If you disagree with an assessment or amended assessment for income tax, goods and services tax (GST), fringe benefits tax (FBT), luxury car tax (LCT), fuel tax credit or wine equalisation tax (WET) you can object to it.

You can also object to:

  • claim assessments under the Product stewardship for oil program and the Energy grants (cleaner fuels) scheme
  • demands made by excise collectors under section 60, 77AA or 77FH of the Excise Act 1901.

See also:

Last modified: 03 Feb 2016QC 33821