Show download pdf controls
  • Employee concerns and disputes

    Your options if you are an employee and you have a concern or complaint.

    On this page

    Summary of employee options

    Issues such as bullying and harassment, discrimination, misconduct, workplace conflict, and whistle blower reports can be raised as disputes or concerns by employees.

    If you are an employee and you have a concern or complaint you can:

    • discuss your concerns with your manager or your manager's manager
    • email the People Helpline or phone 13 15 50
    • lodge an employee complaint form
    • explore an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) option
    • request a review of action.

    If you are experiencing difficulties coming into work, you can consider contacting the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) on 1300 361 008. This is a free, independent and confidential service that provides professional early intervention counselling for all ongoing and non-ongoing ATO employees, their partners and immediate families.

    If you feel a decision has been made that adversely impacts on you and you cannot resolve with the decision maker, you can request a review of employment actions.

    Further information can be found at Employee Assistance Program (PDF 1.0MB)This link will download a file.

    What we can do

    We will assess and determine the nature of the concern based on the complexity, sensitivity and risk of the matter raised.

    We aim to address workplace concerns early, by dealing directly with you and the source of your concern.

    The People Helpline can provide assistance and escalate to specialists trained to resolve the issues you are experiencing.

    We offer a range of services and tools to assist you and your manager to resolve workplace concerns. You can email the People Helpline or phone 13 15 50 to discuss your options.

    We use alternative dispute resolution processes such as:

    • mediation
    • conflict resolution
    • facilitated discussion to resolve workplace concerns.

    If the matter is complex or cannot be resolved at an early stage, we may need to investigate further.

    Last modified: 01 May 2023QC 72376